The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a kit from hpt that includes a ported housing that fits a 66/88 wheel, and a billet comp wheel to match. Has anyone run one of these on the stock turbo? If so how does it perform. I'm still just looking for upgrades without going 38r. I just have had no luck with bb turbos.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
It will run great on stock to mild injectors as long as you keep the stock .84 ex housing.

If you go higher than stage 1's just swap a 1.0 ex housing on.

I've seen that kit too. My friend might try it out.

·
Registered
936 Posts
. I just have had no luck with bb turbos.

Please elaborate. No luck with Garrett 38r's bb turbos as supplied by Garrett? Or no luck with modified 38r's (such as wheel changes, etc)?

Or no luck with bb turbos on supped up Subarus?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have never run the 38r, but on a mild tune 4 cylinder I had a turbonetics ball bearing fail at just 4,000 miles and was basically told to pound salt. It costs more to fix than the turbo was. I have read a few posts with the 38r having shaft play between 40k-70k miles. I plan on keeping the truck for a while and don't want to have problems. And subi's run IHI turbos. Which normally are good until kids put a basic Cobb tune on and over boost/ lean the cars out. I've seen it. Worked at a dealer for a while...

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Ya the warranty on most aftermarket stuff isn't very long. as long as you change oil often, use good oil and don't overboost it 38r's last a very long time.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
if you want to go new turbo route, you can consider the KC38r witch is apparently like a GTP38r on steroid and rebuilt able.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
The kc38r is great but overkill for stock injectors.

The stock turbo with billet comp wheel is fine for stock injectors to 160/0.

Reactions: yan7gin
1 - 7 of 7 Posts