The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I am pretty exhausted. I live at 4500 ft ele. I pulled a good running 7.3 out of a wreck, im building a new truck for camping with our 3000lb. trailer. new truck is a crew cab with steel flat bed. I put on a new fuel pump, switched injector pumps, reset the timing, installed k and n air filter, turned up the fuel inj pump. It starts right up and sounds great. Drives around town fine. plenty of power below freeway speeds. get on freeway and you have to feather the accelerator or it will cut out as you pass 22-2300 rpms. wants to go slower than I do. I switched injection pumps with another used one. same symptoms. pulled my trailer over our local 8k summit to test it. pyro at 1200 easily, going as slow as 30 mph. It will blow black smoke if I get into it, otherwise doesnt. pyro rises above 12 only if there is smoke. I dont get it. I would think my timing is off but the engine coolant temp low and it does run clean if I stay out of the throtte. I got the injectors with engine supposedly not old had reciept. what did I miss? I need to drive the truck this weekend to ship frieght out of country. Am getting stressed. wheres the pull? drives like my old 4.6 L tundra

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
gutless idi at freeway speeds

Welcome to the Diesel Stop!

When your on a grade are you downshifting to keep the RPMs up and EGTs down? What is the rear end gearing? Turbo or non turbo?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where the ip "known good? First pull the check valve and throw it away won't hurt a thing second check fuel filters sounds like a fuel delivery problem if it is a turbo you'll need to turn the ip fuel rate up as it can starve itself for fuel ( had that issue)

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
If it's not turbocharged it appears the elevation for LOTS of smoke (and no power) when pulling a load is 4500-5000ft. and higher. I bought my pickup new in '91 when these IDI engines were real popular and about the only game in town. I remember pulling my 3 horse gooseneck up grades at high elevation (6000ft+/-) and there'd be a pickup like mine in front of me puking out the black stuff. I though I'm glad mine doesn't do that until I looked in the right hand mirror---Holy Crap, within the next year I put a ATS turbo kit on and with the pump set right, no smoke at any elevation.

"get on freeway and you have to feather the accelerator or it will cut out as you pass 22-2300 rpms."

New filter or not, sounds like you have a fuel delivery problem, or at least I'd check that first. With the engine idling you should pump a pint of fuel in so many seconds at the filter head. I think Chuckster57 knows the specs off the top of his head. Also the transfer pump should be putting out 4-6 psi.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Timing should be at 8.5 to 9 degrees BTDC. How did you set that, with a pulse timing meter?

The TDS/FILP should be set at .98 to 1.02 VDC with a smooth sweep up to 3.5 to 4.5 VDC, no higher than 5.0 VDC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where the ip "known good? First pull the check valve and throw it away won't hurt a thing second check fuel filters sounds like a fuel delivery problem if it is a turbo you'll need to turn the ip fuel rate up as it can starve itself for fuel ( had that issue)
So....wheres the check valve? New fuel filter...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it's not turbocharged it appears the elevation for LOTS of smoke (and no power) when pulling a load is 4500-5000ft. and higher. I bought my pickup new in '91 when these IDI engines were real popular and about the only game in town. I remember pulling my 3 horse gooseneck up grades at high elevation (6000ft+/-) and there'd be a pickup like mine in front of me puking out the black stuff. I though I'm glad mine doesn't do that until I looked in the right hand mirror---Holy Crap, within the next year I put a ATS turbo kit on and with the pump set right, no smoke at any elevation.

"get on freeway and you have to feather the accelerator or it will cut out as you pass 22-2300 rpms."

New filter or not, sounds like you have a fuel delivery problem, or at least I'd check that first. With the engine idling you should pump a pint of fuel in so many seconds at the filter head. I think Chuckster57 knows the specs off the top of his head. Also the transfer pump should be putting out 4-6 psi.
Thanks....I gave it to the dealer...:( I will give a report when I know....I just used the last month up and ran out of time...you could be right...maybe a line is collapsing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Timing should be at 8.5 to 9 degrees BTDC. How did you set that, with a pulse timing meter?

The TDS/FILP should be set at .98 to 1.02 VDC with a smooth sweep up to 3.5 to 4.5 VDC, no higher than 5.0 VDC.
Yep. New filp. In spec....yep....pulse timing meter....cool....set to center of most passenger circular receptical at +8 2000 rpm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts