The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give advice, reccomend a good 200A + alternator for upgrade based on experience. I looked at the Mean Green and it got terrible reviews in both performance and customer service. I looked at Sinister Diesel but can find no reviews.

·
Registered
194 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
https://store.alternatorparts.com/8253m-hd200-ford-diesel-alternator.aspx

As tcnofh1 alluded to (above), if you're going to install a significantly larger-than-stock generator (and a 200-amp unit is almost double), then it would be highly advised to increase the size of the power conductor from the Gen to Bat, in order to handle the increased possible power output from the larger generator. Just because you have a 200-amp, Hi-output generator does not mean it'll necessarily ever put out the full 200 amps, but if it did for any length of time, it could easily destroy the stock power cable. Also, larger fusible link(s) and/or a Hi-amp fuse in the circuit would also be advised.

Any particular reason you need 200 amps of generator power?

~Al

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
https://store.alternatorparts.com/8253m-hd200-ford-diesel-alternator.aspx

As tcnofh1 alluded to (above), if you're going to install a significantly larger-than-stock generator (and a 200-amp unit is almost double), then it would be highly advised to increase the size of the power conductor from the Gen to Bat, in order to handle the increased possible power output from the larger generator. Just because you have a 200-amp, Hi-output generator does not mean it'll necessarily ever put out the full 200 amps, but if it did for any length of time, it could easily destroy the stock power cable. Also, larger fusible link(s) and/or a Hi-amp fuse in the circuit would also be advised.

Any particular reason you need 200 amps of generator power?

~Al

Thanks gentlemen, I found the Nations site- looks great and am glad they're a family owned business fairly close to me, also found a Company called Mechman.

Al- I bought the truck to primarily set up for camping, fishing, hunting. I plan on adding 15.5K winch, (Big power cable front and rear)isolated dual battery set up, and large inverter. Yes, I already planned on a large cable from alternator to battery and fusing everything. I had to increase the battery cable when I installed a 120A alternator on my 59 impala (which had the old style generator) as well as switch over to a relay and larger wire on my upgraded halogen headlights. The h/o alternators I’m seeing now under for superduty 7.3 at nations/mechman sites is what I had in mind with large amp output at idle. I think the smaller alternators I’ve seen would be useless ,as to get maximum output rpm’s I would have to be at 3000-4000. I’ve been driving my truck on highways and interstate intentionally keeping rpm’s under 2500, and when I’m camping driving to lake, woods, and around town I’ll never have it over 2000 rp. The nations alternator I just looked at is a 240A and rated 165 amps at idle and Mechman having one similar.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks gentlemen, I found the Nations site- looks great and am glad they're a family owned business fairly close to me, also found a Company called Mechman.

Al- I bought the truck to primarily set up for camping, fishing, hunting. I plan on adding 15.5K winch, (Big power cable front and rear)isolated dual battery set up, and large inverter. Yes, I already planned on a large cable from alternator to battery and fusing everything. I had to increase the battery cable when I installed a 120A alternator on my 59 impala (which had the old style generator) as well as switch over to a relay and larger wire on my upgraded halogen headlights. The h/o alternators I’m seeing now under for superduty 7.3 at nations/mechman sites is what I had in mind with large amp output at idle. I think the smaller alternators I’ve seen would be useless ,as to get maximum output rpm’s I would have to be at 3000-4000. I’ve been driving my truck on highways and interstate intentionally keeping rpm’s under 2500, and when I’m camping driving to lake, woods, and around town I’ll never have it over 2000 rp. The nations alternator I just looked at is a 240A and rated 165 amps at idle and Mechman having one similar.
Good deal! Sounds like you got it under control...

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I hope so? I’ve had a few guys ask why I beefed up the front end and am adding that big of a winch......... my Father and I share a farm and we both burn firewood. Dads getting too old and I’m feeling my age—We have some big steep, wooded hills (pasture in bottom) that are difficult to cut trees with chainsaw and keeping balanced. The plan is to cut limbs off and skid the trunks down and out in the open on level ground. Lots of black locust- pretty straight trunked.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've had there 140 for a year now and no complaints, follow their directions on adding a large ground from the back of the case and clean all you existing ground (one mine they needed it...)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Can someone recommend a good OEM replacement? Although my 2001 is fine, it's probably prudent to have one on hand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts