The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else running the black maxx on theirs and running the new tune. I have 6.4.20. I know there is a 6.4.21 out but haven't installed it yet. Anyhow is anyone experienceing a final shift into overdrive at 60 mph. That seems way to high to me. I really like the 40 Mph TC lock in 4th but the final shift seems to keep my RPMS up near 2 Grand. I don't do a lot of hwy driving and most is below 60 so this kinda stinks.

· Registered
14 Posts
You can customize JUST the Tranny tunes

Anyone else running the black maxx on theirs and running the new tune. I have 6.4.20. I know there is a 6.4.21 out but haven't installed it yet. Anyhow is anyone experienceing a final shift into overdrive at 60 mph. That seems way to high to me. I really like the 40 Mph TC lock in 4th but the final shift seems to keep my RPMS up near 2 Grand. I don't do a lot of hwy driving and most is below 60 so this kinda stinks.
Not sure if you saw the link, but H&S has provided a variety of custom Tranny tunes for your Black Maxx. The "low" tunes specifically lower the shift points to lower speed like you're asking for. A lot of folks seem to like the Schedule 1 Low. You'll find these custom tranny tunes here: 6.4L Powerstroke Custom Transmission Tunes - H&S Performance

Good luck!

1-ton
'08 F-350 SRW LB, King Ranch, S&B, Diamond Eye DPF/DOC delete, H&S MiniMaxx, BuckStop Bumper, Warn Winch, too much fuel, not enough cash.

· Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 1tonwhale, I did see the custom tranny links and have used the s1low. I didn't like the 4th gear lockup so i tried the s2low this morning and it is a better shifiting pattern for my daily drive. I am still having issues when kicking out of cruise. It clunks / slams when turning off cruise. The only way to avoid this i have found is either don't use cruise or slightly acclerate turn cruise off and then slow down. Kind of a pain. The 6.4.17 Tune didn't do this. I hope they fix this in the next update.

· Registered
154 Posts
Thanks 1tonwhale, I did see the custom tranny links and have used the s1low. I didn't like the 4th gear lockup so i tried the s2low this morning and it is a better shifiting pattern for my daily drive. I am still having issues when kicking out of cruise. It clunks / slams when turning off cruise. The only way to avoid this i have found is either don't use cruise or slightly acclerate turn cruise off and then slow down. Kind of a pain. The 6.4.17 Tune didn't do this. I hope they fix this in the next update.

My tranny has "banged" hard on two occasions. It happened while stuck in stop and go traffic. I am trying to adjust to the sensitivity of the pedal by feathering it while in stop and go traffic. Avoid tapping the pedal.......ease into it. So far it is working for me.

· Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree. it seems like i get used to one style and then they change the trans pattern then i have to learn a different one. There is a lot of truth to being able to manipulate that pedal. Finesse is key,

· Registered
154 Posts
I agree. it seems like i get used to one style and then they change the trans pattern then i have to learn a different one. There is a lot of truth to being able to manipulate that pedal. Finesse is key,

H&S has some new trans tunes out now but I have not done it yet. I may not do it at all..........still thinking about it.

· Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well after my initial complaint. I am really starting to like the S2 low trans tune. It shifts very nice. The only thing i am noticing is that the EGT's are staying higher longer after my drive to work. No driving habit changes but they are typically 30-50 degrees hotter when i reach the parking lot.

· Registered
52 Posts
I installed the black maxx and my shift points weren't what I wanted. I downloaded the
S2 med, it's a lot better for the way I drive. I love the Black maxx and the H & S tech support. I don't think you could get a better tuner.

· Registered
1,195 Posts
So with all of you that are running the Black Maxx, which trans tunes are the most liked for normal daily driving with the occasional romp on the pedal? Also, have any of you installed the 300 Hot Damn tune? Comments on it?

· Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i am running shift schedule 2 "low" and love it. I am also not running the 300 tune. It still has plenty of power.

· Registered
1,195 Posts
Until my 5" turbo back comes in on Tuesday, I am running the DPF present files with S1M. I have to say that when you compare the DPF present tunes to the Bully Dog PMT, which has no trans tuning whatsoever, the shifting difference is amazing. The PMT made alot of power, but you can't use much of it without the trans feeling like it's going to fall out. With the H&S on HOT and the pedal on the floor, it shifts as smooth as can be. I'm very impressed so far. I can't wait to get the big tunes in there with my exhaust.
The H&S has useable power, much more so than the Bully Dog. The power curves couldn't be more opposite.
Since I am going to be running a 4" downpipe and a 5" straight pipe, I am considering the 300 tune. We'll see where my EGT is then.
Would the stock fuel pump supply enough pressure to run the 300 tune well?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.