The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Would it be possible to convert my Glow Plug Controller to the Glow Plug Relay setup? Dont they do the same thing???

·
Super Moderator
24,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just edited the original post to inlcude pics of getting the VC connectors loose. Also added a note on checking the GPR a couple of times to make sure the good connection isn't a fluke.

·
Super Moderator
24,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
[ QUOTE ]
Would it be possible to convert my Glow Plug Controller to the Glow Plug Relay setup? Dont they do the same thing???

[/ QUOTE ]

They do the same thing, but go about it a little differently.

If you could determine which wires to your GPC come from the PCM to activate it, you could probably rewire the engine harness to install a GPR instead, but I doubt it would be worth the effort.

I believe the solid state GPC may be a litte more robust than a GPR, not having contacts to arc when it disconnects.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Ahh, I see whatcha mean. In my ongoing experience, the truck would start 50/50. Sometimes it would crank right up in the morn, starter would sound normal. Other times, Id put it in the on position in the morn and the batt. indicator on the dash would slowly go down to the 8 mark very erratically and then the stock headunit would flash on and off, as well as a bunch of clicking coming from the engine bay. When the truck is warm, it wouldn't have the problem. I'm thinking the ECU is bypassing the warming of the GPs and thus bypassing the GPC? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Super Moderator
24,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
[ QUOTE ]
Other times, Id put it in the on position in the morn and the batt. indicator on the dash would slowly go down to the 8 mark very erratically and then the stock headunit would flash on and off, as well as a bunch of clicking coming from the engine bay.

[/ QUOTE ]
That sounds like you are having a battery issue. How old are they?

[ QUOTE ]
When the truck is warm, it wouldn't have the problem. I'm thinking the ECU is bypassing the warming of the GPs and thus bypassing the GPC? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, the GPR (and presumably the GPC) is controlled by the PCM to only energize the GP's when the engine is cold. If the oil temp is over a certain value, the GP's won't even be turned on.

·
Registered
461 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

That sounds like you are having a battery issue. How old are they?

[/ QUOTE ]

They were replacement Red Top Optimas. The first set, I had for about 6 mos., the second set was replaced in Aug. of this year. In the beginning they worked good, then I'd have to jump the truck every so often, especially after sitting more than a day or so...Now I'm jumpin the truck more than haveing it start on its own /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif This gets old after about the second time. Now, I'm at about the 15th time I've had to jump the truck now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/depressed.gif I'm thinkin about going to the dealer and getting their batts., cuz the stockers lasted for about 3 and a half years before they started to weaken. Probably because I never filled them up with distilled. Are the dealer batts worth getting? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif I dont mind the build up on the terminals, as long as the darn thing starts!

·
Super Moderator
24,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I just replaced my 6+ yr olds with the batteries that Costco carries. Made by Johnson Controls (who may make the Motorcrafts) and they have a rating of 1000 CCA, better than the stockers.

You may have something that's draining your batteries when the truck is turned off, since your batteries have been lasting such a short time. That's definitely worth looking into.

·
Registered
28 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Just edited the original post to inlcude pics of getting the VC connectors loose. Also added a note on checking the GPR a couple of times to make sure the good connection isn't a fluke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for updating with pics. Will try it this weekend.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Guys,

I replaced my GPR and Tested all my plugs.. The Plugs 5 and 6 I think.. The ones towards the front of the grill, but the 2nd row.. so not the closest but the ones behind it.. They both show infinite readouts on ohms.. The Others all show .7 Ohms. I dont think 2 bad glow plugs would make it not start.. do you?

However, the truck still has a very hard time starting. its 70 degrees out right now.. and I got it to start once, only to stall.. My batteries are almost dead now with me trying to start it so many times.. And I know that its not the batteries because I can get the truck to start, but it just stalls right after..

My Oil is fine, I just changed it.. and My dad has a 99 7.3L with the same oil and his works fine..
Help!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
first charge your batteries back up so you aren't spinning your wheels.

i'd be checking hpop oil level, because it is pretty easy.

then I would be trying to figure out if your fuel pump is coming on. When trying to start it, does lots of white smoke come out the tail pipe? by lots, I mean garbage cans full. less white smoke indicates lack of fuel. lots of white smoke indicates lots of unburned fuel, ie glow plug problems.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tons and Tons and Tons of White smoke.. When it stays started... I have to hold the pedal down to keep it from stalling.. but it still ends up stalling.. But, there is MAJOR white smoke when i start...

Any Ideas?

Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok.. Well.. I replaced my batteries.. Still no good.. Now the truck doesnt even start.. And I changed my oil.. 5w30 ...Sounds like it is going to but never does.. I dont know what it is.. Could it be the glow plugs? or are my injectors messed up??? Help!

·
Registered
22 Posts
REplaced Both Batteries.. GPR.. Changed the oil... Now the truck works like a charm.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the help Guys.

Mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow, I just joind this "Site" and after reading the posts on here (from very well informed owners-Thank You) I hope to have my problem (Cold Start, Eradic Idle) issue fixed tomorrow. Thank You All... Happy Holidays

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought my 2000 used, 46,000 miles on her, what battery's do you all suggest to use ? when replacing them. Mine still have the "Stock" Diehards.. ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
>>Will it still start in warm weather with a faulty GPR? Do they completely fail or get tempermental???

Depends on if it fails open or closed. If it fails open, yes it will. If, as in the case of mine, the control relay fries or shorts, you will blow the ignition fuse. A 30 amp on my 99 350, right column, bottom. Removing the hot control wire will allow you to keep the fuse in and start. Besure to tape the end of the control wire so it will not go to ground while you obtain a replacement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Awesome thread and I have printed it out as I just started having issues. My issue is that first thing in the morning (mid-30's) the engine cranks and cranks and cranks. After a few tries (key on then off), it will finally start along with alot of smoke out the exhaust (enough I can get out and walk thru the cloud and "enjoy" the diesel smell first thing in the morning. Is this thread related to something I should check first, or do I have bigger problems? I will say, that for the rest of the day, the motor starts with no problem even after prolonged periods of rest.

·
Banned
6,292 Posts
Do you plug it in? Are your GPs and Relay working well. Do you run Synth oil? Yes, there a lot of things here that should help you. If your truck starts fine the rest of the day, it's just sluggish. You should be able to track down the culprit using the stuff on this thread.

Good Luck.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts