The Diesel Stop banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Scraper:

My '02 was behaving just like you describe (I live at 8000', and have had some sub-zero mornings in the last few weeks). like you, it would start fine throughout the rest of the day.

I considered replacing the batteries, then found this thread. I changed out the GPR with the NAPA GPR109 ($25, and about 15 minutes), and when I had my oil changed (at the dealer) I requested a winter weight oil - they put in 10w-30.

Starting problems GONE - starts like it should. I think the GPR was the ticket, but with the lighter weight oil (which I'm sure helped), it sure runs quieter.

Phil

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have 12.3 at the large post with the rubber boot on it. At the large post with the yellow & brown wires I have .5v. I guess I have to replace it. That post always had voltage to it every time I tested it until today! The rubber boot broke off in little pieces, do I have to replace it? Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok, I replaced the (2) Batteries (Motorcraft 850's) and the GPR-111 Relay. Last night it got down to 38 degrees. I started her up, she stalled about 2 min out, then was a little bugger to get started again. This time she ran and warmed up properly. Now I did not plug the block heater in. I have no idea what weight Oil is in her at the current time , but I might be going to 10w30.... Any ideas guys. Ceece

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
so if it won't start at all, then eventually TONS of white smoke comes out, then probably, almost for sure, it is the GPR. There is a possibility that most of your glowplugs all went bad at the same time, but if you believe in Karma, then go buy a lottery ticket to even out the odds.

If it starts right up, but blows white smoke for 1 to 5 minutes, and runs really rough at first, odds are pretty good that one or more glow plugs have gone bad, or it could be REALLY FRIGGING cold, like below zero, adn you didn't plug in.

If it starts right up, runs really good for the first minute or 3 with a touch of blue smoke, then all is good with glow plugs.

If after 2 or 3 minutes it kind of fades off and dies, almost always without white smoke other then steam, I'd be looking at fuel pump, fuel pump relay, plugged filter, or jelled fuel. Of the three, jelled fuel is the most common at temps freezing or below.

Powerserve in the white bottle. Your friend.

I'm sure there are other products that work as well, I've just never tried anything else.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Just finished the NAPA GPR-109 install a few minutes ago.

A couple of observations:

The GPR-109 is actualy reclocked to 90 degrees counter clockwise. So the wiring clocks 90 degrees counter clockwise.

Although several have said it really does not matter on the big posts which big wire goes to which... That I cannot say. But if you look at the molded in pattern of ridges of the two and clock those the same way... it ends up 90 degree's *counter* clockwise. And thats how I wired it up.

Unfortunately its fairly warm here today and did not get all that cold last night and I forgot to unplug the block heater from the timer last night so I cannot get a really good diagnostic check on it to see if it fixed the problem. I will have to wait for a good cold night and thats a few days away. But.... there was instant start and there was no white smoke at all. And even with block heater in on a really cold morning I was getting a tad for a half a minute. So I think its indeed fixed. But will have to wait and see... but at least thas eliminated from the equation.

And... sadly enough... my "Powerstroke" plastic engine decorator cover, one of the studs broke. I took it off because I was going to change my Fuel filter in addition to this while I was up under there. And one of the two studs gave it up. So at at some point I will have to drill that stud out and mount a new bolt there for my play pretty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

And... sadly enough... my "Powerstroke" plastic engine decorator cover, one of the studs broke. I took it off because I was going to change my Fuel filter in addition to this while I was up under there. And one of the two studs gave it up. So at at some point I will have to drill that stud out and mount a new bolt there for my play pretty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing happened to me the first time I went to remove the plastic cover to get to the fuel filter. Now I just go without the plastic cover.

Hammer

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing happened to me the first time I went to remove the plastic cover to get to the fuel filter. Now I just go without the plastic cover.

Hammer

[/ QUOTE ]

Its highly likely mine will also now become a wall ornament in the shop! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Finaly got a cold morning yesterday. Started right up with the NAPA GPR 109 and no plugged in.

I have always used my X monitors Tranny temp reading as a reference point to how cold the engine and metal and all is. And I had been starting without issues for years under 35 or 36 degrees. Down easily into the teens and even then second crank with a romp maybe at worst. When the starting problem developed I started having a lot of problems getting her to fire up without multilple cranks (as many as 10 or more) and even then when it finaly cranked white smoke at anything below 40 or so reading to the tranny... So I knew its was out of the ordinary and something was up.

But after install of the 109 and a I had a reading of 26 in the tranny, yesterday, it fired up first time w no smoke. So we back to normal. Definately.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well, so far, I have replaced the MAP sensor, (weird readings at idle) and the GPR. Funny thing, no codes being set! Makes diagnosis difficult. Starting has gotten really lousy the last few days and it hasn't been that cold (20s & 30s at night). Long crank, hits on only a couple, lopes like mad, makes smoke like a earth mover! Will see what happens tomorrow. The GPR tests okay when warm, I'm thinking burnt contacts on the relay causing not enough current to the plugs. NAPA sold me a 110, wonder what's the dif between the 109 and the 110. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
.... NAPA sold me a 110, wonder what's the dif between the 109 and the 110. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

easy enough question to answer....the difference is the counter clock wise 90 degree change in its mounting bracket and about 45 bucks....

I didn't even bother to test mine. Symptoms lead me to believe it was gone... and so I just changed it to the 109 (cheap enough and my old one was 5 years old) to see if that solved it before going futher. And it did solve it so I good to go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
On the E350 the fuel filter is barely visible muchless accessable, I have Ford change it because of that. Thought they would have changed the design with newer 6.0, NOPE they just added a second fuel filter, I'm told.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This little gem of a string saved me at least $100. My truck cranked and cranked and was real slow to start on Monday. Finialy fired and smoked out the entire neighborhood. I hopped on line and found this string and figured out that it must be the GPR. Called my local blue oval dealar for a price on the relay...$130. Ouch! Called International and they said no problem we have a bucket of them at $24.75 each. Guess which one I bought!

Pulled the old one out and it was gone for sure. The hot terminal pulled of in my hand when I started to loosen the nuts. Got it off and the new one on and problem solved. The part matched exactly down to the part number stamped in the base. I couldn't beleive how bad you know who is ripping us off.

Thanks to all who suffered in the past and wrote about it here!

Buckstopper

·
Registered
32 Posts
I second your comments about this "String", Site and most importantly the Members on this site, I am a new member, and was having the same problems, after (2) new batteries (both had less than 7amp cranking power), a GPR and an Oil change my problems went away. Thank You all for everything on here. JD

·
Super Moderator
25,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
[ QUOTE ]
If International dealers have GPR for $25 does anyone have international part #?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try this one

International #1831646C1

·
Registered
830 Posts
Can the GPR's go partially bad? As in limiting the total current available? I have new battery's, and have even had them checked.Good. I get up to 3000psi HPO when cranking. Lots of smoke. When it does start all is right with the world. I have checked all my glow plugs for power at the plug, under the valve cover, and checked out good. However I have all the same symptoms as everyone else. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Super Moderator
25,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
You might get one that will show some voltage, but not pass enough current to get the GP's hot, but that would show up as low voltage at the large output terminal. You could try jumpering across the GPR terminals and see if it makes a difference.

GPRs aren't that expensive. When in doubt, change it out.

·
Registered
830 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
You might get one that will show some voltage, but not pass enough current to get the GP's hot, but that would show up as low voltage at the large output terminal. You could try jumpering across the GPR terminals and see if it makes a difference.

GPRs aren't that expensive. When in doubt, change it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that is exactly what I did. After some more testing, I found out that with no load, the old GPR worked fine. .3 ohms resistance. However under load, It opened. Weird. Anyway, I replaced the GPR and This morning life was good again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

41 - 60 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.