The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
vehicle:
2002, F-250, powerstroke turbo 7.3 diesel, 135,000 miles, auto tranny.

problem:
o/d light flashing after engine is cranked a few seconds.
shifting is hard between all but the last o/d gear. holds gear a long time and shifts hardest between 1,2,3 gears. loses power on hills like its not down shifting, have to stand on pedal to get it to rpm up. not towing anything. speed and tac-odometer does not fluctuate. cpu was replaced a while back for separate issue.

what's been done:
tranny solenoid replaced, tranny serviced. one code eliminated I don't have paper work in front of me for the other code. tranny shop says all wiring in steering column and to and from tranny is good. thinks it could be the computer(?). ordering a new computer with a return policy if its not the problem.
truck has "diablo" chip in it, has had it for over 10 years without issue.

anyone else had this? what was the fix.

·
Super Moderator
12,019 Posts
If you're replacing parts without knowing the codes you're just wasting money. It is possible, but VERY unlikely, to be the computer.

Get the codes and we can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will do next time im at the shop. tranny solenoid was one of the issues, replaced that and that code went away. I cant remember what the others were.... but they were printed off and applicable wiring schematics were traced... nothing found at fault.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
p1747, code says EPC (tranny solenoid) is shorting/grounding out. that's the only code thrown now.

tried two brand new solenoids, and traced all the wires and harnesses. all are good. the only thing I can think of is the computer not sending right info to solenoid, like the computer has a short/ground in it....

thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,019 Posts
What do you mean you traced the wires? How do the wires check electrically? Is there continuity from the PCM connector to the solenoid body connector? How about short to ground or short to power in those wires?

If all you did was look at the wires, that's not a bad first step. But it means you don't know much of anything about the condition of the wires, just that they look good.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Update.

Ford dealership says I need a new transmission. If that is the case, I will take it to a transmission shop for a considerable savings.

other than the P1747 code (solenoid grounding out), the shifting has gotten easier, overdrive is back, however when I first start the engine after it has sat a while, it will stall when I put it in drive. tac is fine, idle is fine, reverse is fine, drive it will stall. re-cranks fine, immediately as it should. put it in Drive and give it pedal to the floor it will sputter then go and no more stalling after that.

anyone else want to chime in?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:
Dealership gets codes:

P1747 code F, “or short inside valve body and solenoid pack”.

P0705 code, Range Sensor.

Service paper says I need a new torque converter, lady on phone said new tranny.

Its at a specialty tranny shop now for recheck. If new tranny is needed, tranny shop quotes about $1,000 less than dealer.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
$3,500 later its fixed.

replaced torque converter and vss. still getting flashing O/D light and code p1747 saying solenoid is bad.
chased all the wiring on harness to and from, all checked good.
sent computer to shop that checked all connections and they said it was good. well, they didn't do something right because a new computer fixed it.

turns out a diode burned out and sent the message to the tranny to shift when it wasn't needed... tranny goes out.

dealership said all I needed was a new tranny for $4,900, but we now see that that wouldn't have been the end of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts