The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings.
My truck began taking a little while to fire up.
Sometimes it will turn over for 5 seconds, then fire up. It used to fire right up.
Sometimes it will start right away.

I had new glow plugs installed, and new wiring harness/valve cover gaskets. $780 cash.....

I load tested the batteries and they read good.

I'm at a lose as to where to look next....
I can only imagine how hard it will start when winter sets in.

·
Premium Member
15,098 Posts
Next time you are ready to start it after its sat for a while, pull the HPOP reservoir plug and check the level. See if you can tell a difference if it sits for a few hours versus sitting for a few days. If I knew I could get $780 for swapping 8 glow plugs, I could have skipped 8 years of college and done that for a living...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I pulled the reservoir plug and gently put the screw driver in. From the top of the exterior housing of the hpop, there is 1 1/4" of head space before striking oil.

Is this an acceptable level?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
An 1-1/4" is a little much, normally about 3/4" from the bottom of the cover, but you may be alright from the top of the cover.

When was the last oil change?

Dino oil is good for 5-6K miles, Syn is good for 10K miles.

My 99 has 183K on it, has Original GP's, WTS stays on for about 6-7 seconds, crank time 3-5 seconds, needs oil changed, I'm 600 miles over.

I sure wouldn't take it to your last guy for an oil change. WOW. $780, parts cost $204 should have been, $576 labor.

You can always double cycle the GP's. I do that in the winter below 40*F.

I pull a 33' American Star, vintage 97.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
I used to double-cycle the GPs on my old 6.9 and VW diesels but I seem to recall that it is not necessary on the 7.3 PSDs because the GPs continue to cycle automatically even after the WTS light has turned off and will even cycle up to 15 seconds after the engine is started when necessary.

Someone please correct me if I am mistaken.

As for longevity of the original GPs...all 8 of mine were toast by 137K miles when I purchased the truck.

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
The glow plugs don't cycle but will stay on for up to 2 minutes after turning the key on.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive plugged the voltmeter into the cigarette lighter on startup. Glow plugs stay on for 45 seconds.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Your injectors could be worn out. Do you use oil between changes?

You may be losing hpo oil when you crank.

Unplug the icp and see if it starts better.

5k is the norm for oil changes synthetic or Dino oil. If you want to go longer get a UOA done by black stone.

These heui engines are hard on oil, common rails not nearly as much.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

·
Registered
28 Posts
https://youtu.be/vYDYd4DNRek

Turns out it was a bad starter... I would have swore I needed new batteries.

Video above shows new great crank
I never would've thought it'd be a bad starter! Good to head you figured it out! I was leaning towards a loss of compression :/ I'm glad I was wrong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts