The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope someone can help, I have a 2002 superduty with 205,000 miles on it. My proplem is when on go to start the truck it cranks several times before starting. Once it starts it run strong, smooth and clean, if I turn off the engine and start it with in 30 sec. it starts right away. If I let it sit for while it takes longer to start. There is a new fuel filter and the oil was just changed, I might be selling the truck so i'm looking for a cheap fix. Need suggestions.

·
Premium Member
15,126 Posts
Do you have access to a scan tool or other device that can read PIDs? It would be nice to watch IC pressure as you try to start it. If not, the first thing I would do is remove the access plug on the top of the HPOP reservoir. Do this after the truck has sat overnight or long enough you expect it to be a hard start. Use your dipstick and measure how far down the oil is in the reservoir. If its more than an inch, you have a leak down issue. This means the oil is leaking out of the reservoir and you are effectively having to prime the truck each and every time you go to start it. After oil pressure builds, it starts and runs. As long as you try to start it before its bled down all the way, it starts right up.

Likely suspects are a worn low pressure pump or a high pressure pump gasket issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well HPOP res. was full so I guess its back to square one. I may just have to have someone put a scanner on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts