The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 F250 Powerstroke, 5 speed Manual, 84,000 miles, 4x4 that has recently been hard to start. It seems to be worse when it's hot out.
I would like to know how you can check the oil pressure from the HPOP? What should the pressure be at? I've checked the basics: Batteries, fuel filter, new oil, air filter, Fuel pressure is around 60PSI, CPS is new, Glow Plug Relay test good. In addition to being hard to start the truck occasionally has a small RPM jump at idle once the engine gets warm.

Is there anything else I should be checking?

Thanks for your help!!

Bill

· Registered
514 Posts
wow thats some low miles on your truck

My first guess would be a bit of dirt/crud in the IPR (injector pressure regulator) or a slightly torn 0-ring.

The IPR is stuck into the rear of the hpop & has a electrical conection to a round solenoid surrounding it.

Its actually pretty easy to remove even though its in a tight spot, the archives have lots of info/pics/part #'s for a rebuild kit & tips on getting it out,cleaning it up & reinstalling.

Hope this helps

Cheers

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys! After doing a little reading on the IPR I think that may be my problem. Tom, I originally thought the glow plugs but the only thing is it starts better when the outdoor temperature drops.

I was triing to find the information you refered to on the IPR but didn't have much luck. The only thing I was able to find was an international part number that Tom listed for an IPR reseal kit: (1825806C92 IPR reseal kit include the spacer, nut, and plug). Is this what I need to tune the IPR up? Do you have a link to the pictures and instructions? Thanks again for your help!!

Bill

· Registered
1,380 Posts
Smokin Dually here is a thread that covers your questions IPR thread , pay close attention to the photos showing the orientation of the internal small pin, it has got to go back the same. Good luck with it!

· Registered
2,458 Posts
Bill, if you take a look at the link in Joat's signature you can find that Ford number as well. Joat posted in that same thread where you found the International number. He has a good list to print up. When you do this you want to drain out the HP reservoir as well so there is less oil to mop up. If you pull the fuel bowl out there is plenty of room.

It is easy to test those glowplugs with an ohm meter by the way if you need to do that at some point.

Tom

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help guys!! This is amazing! Tom, can you give me a little more info on testing my Glow plugs. I know you have to take the plugs off the valve covers and you can use an ohm meter to test them but I'm not sure which spots on the plug to insert the ohm meter into and what the resistance should read.

Thanks again!

Bill

· Registered
2,458 Posts
For testing the glow plugs it is the outside plugs at each of the 4 vavle cover connectors. The other end of you meter goes to ground. I can't remember the values right off had but it is a small number like 7 or under ohms. I can check a couple of plugs I have on hand if someone else does not pop in with the number. I bet a search will get you hooked up too.

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.