The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seeking help to find a source for hard to get oil fittings! I am sorry I'm not technical enough to know how to describe properly what I'm after, or what it's correctly called!
I wish to run two bypass filters on a 1992 Toyota landcruiser 4.2 litre turbo diesel engine, one a bypass sub micron wound cotton element oilgaurd type cannister and the second a centrifuge type filter!

I do not want to run these two bypass filters from the engines existing mechanical oil pump, the pressures low enough already and these engines are renowned for grabbing and spinning the big end bearings shells inside the big end caps!

I figure if I tap into the dash mounted oil pressure gauge line at the block fitting, with a T piece and bypass some of that oil thru the two separate filters mechanisms - the resultant drop in engine oil pressure & flow could be such that it triggers the crank to spin a bigend bearing shell.

Instead I want to tap into the sump and use an external electric oil pump to recirculate and clean the sump oil thru the two bypass style filters, totally independant of the engines main oil pump!

The problem I will have is in being able to tap the sump pan to get at the oil, and again - being able to tap the sump pan - to return the cleaned scrubbed oil!

I want to tap the sump pan twice - without pulling the engine to remove the sump pan, clean it and weld tubes into place to achieve this.

I have been told - there is some kind of fitting you can buy - where at oil change time - you drain the sump, use a small grease covered drillbit to drill a pilot hole where you want to tap the sump pan - then insert a self tapping, self sealing type connection fitting - that will then allow you to fit oil pressure hose with a swaged end fitting onto the fitting!

I don't know the proper name of the fitting, or where you get them, but am hoping someone before me has come across such a fitting somewhere and can point me to a link for such!

If anyone knows of any links to external 12V operated oil pressure pumps then a link also would be much appreciated!

I hope I've given enough info / description to make it clear what I'm looking for!

Please ask questions if I haven't!
Many thanks in advance!


· Registered
552 Posts
How about pull the oil pan drain plug and use that as your suction side, then return up higher on the engine, maybe valve cover or where ever you add oil to engine? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif
I know what fittings you are talking about, some of the aftermarket turbo kits come with them, but I don't know where to get them.

· Administrator
25,193 Posts
Sorry, can't help out on where to get the fittings you're talking about. The typical temminology for that type of fitting is a "bulkhead fitting" but they normally need access to both sides of the tank (oil pan in your case).

You might consider using a welded-on half coupling. I think that could be done fairly easily without messing things up. You'd still have to get the hole in the pan, but welding a half coupling on wouldn't be a bad deal. I think it would be less prone to leakage that the self-tapping fittings you're describing.

OK, found what I think you're referring to in THIS THREAD on the BITOG forums. Called a SELF TAPPING HOLLOW BOLT and there's a picture of it there. Apparently they're available thru Amzoil. Still think the dang thing would weep oil all the time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

As far as routing your return line, how about tapping it into the pressure side of your oil pump (a gallery tap, for instance). That way, you could wire your electric pump to operate when you turn the key on, and would have a prelube system, and it would assist the mechanical pump already on the engine. Now THAT would be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

· Registered
311 Posts
For fittings, try these guys . They might be a little expensive but there's a lot to look at. Also, you can Google "AN Fittings" and come up with a lot more to look at.

A lot of people like McMaster-Carr for lots of plumbing - and a lot of other stuff.

Hope this helps.
Jon in American Fork
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.