The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My F-250 diesel 6.0L powerstroke is very hard to start after sitting for over 24 hours. If its used daily, there is no problem starting. A friend suggested to try a long crank (about 45 seconds), I tried until the oil pressure showed high on the display gage. I stopped and tried again, this time the oil pressure was up right away and finally the engine caught. I shut off the ignition and started right away. I suspected a low fuel pressure on the line as if the fuel was slowly draining and after 24 hours the fuel pressure was very low. What would cause this condition?

·
Registered
83 Posts
A possible leak in the High pressure oil system that controls the injectors. Do you have a way to monitor the oil pressure thru a scanner device?

·
Registered
195 Posts
what year 6.0?

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
On the 03-04 engines, a no-start with low base oil pressure is usually a leak at the suction of the HPOP or a bad HPOP from my experience. The IPR is another possibility.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hard to start after sitting more than 24 hrs.

Thank all of you for your help, i will go step by step following your suggestions. On thing to keep in mind is that once the engines starts, the engine start process is normal and it will start every time as long as I keep using the truck. My problem is when I stop using it for more than 24 hours. It looks like the problem only shows when the engine has been idle for more than 24 hours.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
See if the truck will start after being parked on a downslope (nose down) after 24 hrs as opposed to parked on an incline (nose up) for 24 hrs.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Sorry but can't help it.
Bismic, how long have you had your bright box? I bought one from XDP and a year later it almost burned my truck down. Installed properly and fuse never fuse never blew. Was not even going to call as last time I did, it was when its new and did not work. I found terminals crimped over the insulation was the problem. I calls Britebox and the owners answered and it sounded like he was on the sofa watching tv and was disinterested. If fixed the terminals and it worked fine for a year till the box melted and caught fire.

Ok, back to hydraulics

·
Premium Member
7,228 Posts
Just a quick thought/question... What oil filter are you using? I know it sounds too simple but if the filter doesn't fit right, the oil will drain out of the filter housing and extended cranking will be necessary to get it fired.. If you aren't using a Motorcraft/Racor filter, that might be your problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts