The Diesel Stop banner

Hard to start.......

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  mikem61 
#1 ·
My 97 F-250 is hard to start. Has to turn over way to long to start. Has new GPR and new batteries. What would make it lose fuel prime? I think this is whats causing it. Thought the HPOP was draining but if I spray a little starting fluid in the air filter intake, it starts up. Any help? Thanks guys.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

See less See more
#3 ·
Cold start problems are usually caused by one of four things:
1. Bad Glow Plug Relay
2. Bad Glow Plugs
3. Weak Batteries
4. Weak Starter
There are a few other things, but these are the most likely causes. First I would test your glow plug relay (GPR). When the relay is energized (WTS light is on and for approximately 2 minutes after that when the engine is cold) measure the voltage on the two big posts on the glow plug relay. They should have the battery voltage across them and very little difference between them. If they have more than .3 volt difference between the big posts, your relay is bad. You can test your glow plugs by measuring the resistance from a good ground (I use the negative battery terminal) to each glow plug. The two outer pins on your four valve cover connectors go to your glow plugs. They all should read less than 2 ohms. If they read more than 2 ohms your plugs are bad and need replacement. If your relay and plugs tested good, have your batteries and starter tested at AutoZone or some other parts store. You need two good batteries and a good starter to start a PSD when it cold out.
There are other causes of a ‘Cold’ start problem, but these are the most likely and I would check them first. If everything above checks out okay…then inspect all your battery and starter motor connections/cables. Make sure they are tight and not corroded.

I second not using starter fluid.

Good Luck!

Griz

#4 ·
Might I suggest checking your battery terminals and make sure they are good and clean. I had a no-start recently and all it took was to clean the terminals, then the truck turned over much faster thus building HPOP pressure.

#5 ·
Putting in 2 new batteries. I think its the starter thats dragging. GPR tested out fine. Haven't tested glow plugs yet, but I don't think they are the problem. Got 2 new 1000 CA batteries coming in tomorrow. If that doesn't do it, then the starter is getting taken off and checked. But I really think the starter is the problem. Will let you know after battery change tomorrow.....

#7 ·
Not much to add. New Exide batteries. New GPR. Now I have the starter off and having it rebuilt. Seems to be dragging, but I don't know. If this works, its for sale. I'm just about aggravated. It has been a great truck though. Had it for 4 1/2 years. Now have put new glow plugs, new water pump, new brake pump, new GPR, new batteries (twice), new tires, new starter (rebuilt), new high pressure O rings, Anyways, thanks for any input, but I am still trying to figure this thing out.

Until next time......

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.