The Diesel Stop banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
What is the need for the track bar frame mount change? Is it lower, wider, what?

Can you NOT use the old style mount?
I was going from a 2wd to 4wd so I didn't have a track bar mount to start with.

· Registered
69 Posts
I have also done this swap on a 2002 7.3 2wd to 2007 4wd axles...

It is pretty easy.. everything bolts up - you do have to drill a few holes here and there. I swapped to the 2005-2007 steering box - you have to use a 2005 6.0 pressure line (and larger bolts). My return line bolted up.

Be careful on buying used axles from a salvage yard. My first set - the front case was cracked and rear axle tube was bent 6 degrees... it was a roll over. Had to return them... second set was from a rearend damaged truck w/87k. Nice and straight... I looked the truck over before they pulled them.

If anybody has any questions - I can help also (pm me - do not use visitor message). I based my build this thread - thank you vegoilrecycler!

· Registered
320 Posts
is the braking substantially better? The rotors are larger I believe (thus the larger wheels) but is it enough to warrant the swap? The turning radius would be nice, but not worth the cost. I do, however, HATE my brakes. I dont recall ever having fade or 'warping' issues with the 04 I had, but this 02 likes to eat rotors.

With a 4WD swap, do I understand that there is no need to swap frame side panhard mounts?

· Registered
62 Posts
I didnt have the older brakes on my truck long enough to really tell, and I always had either f450-f550 older trucks or 05 up f250 f350 trucks but when I got my 2000 f250 long bed crew cab I knew I had to swap out the axle. To me it is the best thing you can do for these trucks.Its like getting your cake and eating it too as you get most of the better drivetrain upgrades of the later trucks (minus the 5 or 6 speed auto) but still keep the 7.3. You get better braking way better steering response, way better turning radius, way better ride, true dana 60, more stabile truck if you lift it due to wider front axle and they seem to be giving away(not really) the newer style axles. At least compared to buying a dana 60 for a chevy or early ford truck. By the way I have been now driving my truck for way over a year with no problems.

· Registered
439 Posts
I have a 2008 F350 and a 2002 F250. My F350 is nicer as far a ride is concerned and the brakes may be a little better but not noticeably so. Certainly not worth the trouble of swapping axles and what not.

My F250 has 211K miles and is on its second set of rotors, which are still good. I have never heard of these trucks chewing up rotors. My brakes may also feel better than normal because I flush the fluid periodically and run EBC sever duty pads.

· Registered
62 Posts
The older and newer rear axles are the same width. The front axles are wider then the rear on the coil spring trucks and narrower then the rear on the leaf spring trucks but the rear axles are the same width. That being said the threads are of a different metric pitch so if you keep the older axle you will have 2 different lug nut type threads unless you change the studs out. Not a big deal but worth mentioning. The yoke style is also different from the 2 and the brakes are slightly larger, enough to not allow 16 wheels to fit on the new axle. I kept my old rear axle as I couldn't justify changing it. I also ground down my front calipers a bit so I could still use 16.5 wheels. (but 16s will never fit) 16.5s will rub without grinding but to me it was worth the work, since I run the cheaper 16.5 tires either BFG or ex hummer tires which I can get 4 for the price of one 17 or 18 37" tire. That made keeping the older rear axle even more useful so I didnt have to also grind the rear calipers with the 16.5s

· Registered
1 Posts
2wd axle upgrade - Front specific questions

I have a 02 F250 2wd, crew cab, short bed. I'm just coming off of a bad experience with a 05, 4wd 6.0, crew cab that I finally had to wash my hands (and wallet) from.

Will definitely attest to the turning radius difference etc. The 02 front end tie rod, drag link etc all feel a bit sloppy, and possibly the ball joints. So, I suspect the front end is going to need some attention. I also already am running 18" later model wheels and tires that of course rub. And the rear yoke on the existing rear axle appears to be leaking. So, having said that, and really wanting to keep these wheels and tires but get them out at the correct width without spacers, doing an axle swap on the rear and front would make sense to me.

I do NOT care to go 4wd drive though. I'll just stick with the RWD. So, I've read through most all of this thread and I thank everyone for the great information. It might be in there, but I've got some specific questions that I couldn't really decipher from those. I did see the info about the better solution being getting a power steering box from the 05 mainly because of the pitman arm site hole.

a. if I'm sticking with 2wd, do I still need to coil buckets, and tie rod drag link etc ?
b. do I need to get knuckles from an 05 later?
c. rear is psuedo bolt up, only couple of issues with the bolt, make them

· Registered
69 Posts
FYI in case someone is ever searching for info..

I did this swap on a 2002 2wd F250. It is a pretty easy swap. I did it in my driveway using a torch, grinder, hand tools, good jackstands, good drill and extra drill bits. Hardest was drilling frame for brackets. All brackets had at least one bolt hole to get your position.. there is no guess work.

Buy NEW coil buckets and radius arm brackets from Ford. Wrecking yard destroyed them (bent) trying to get off donor frame. Be careful on axles. First set of axles I bought where from a rollover.. front diff (casting) was cracked and rear axle tube was bent (like 5 degrees). Second set was from a bad 6.0 that they junked (never wrecked). I used 2005 6.0 ps to hydroboost line. Used stock (new) 2005 rubber/flex brake lines.

As other have said you need 2005+ wheels (offset). 2005+ brakes are bigger. You need 2005 PS Box, pitman arm, track bar bracket, control arms. 2005 rear axle uses a different flange. I used a 2003 7.3 4wd driveshaft and it had the correct flange. Bought new ubolts from Ford for a 2005 F350 and used F350 blocks. Put a new of leveling coils and 4 new Bilsteins (2005-7 F350). I went through the axles and brakes.. rebuilt calipers, new rotors, pads, ball joints, ujoints, tie rod ends, etc. Did not need all of it, but do it once and do it right.

I did the swap because I found a great deal on a 102k 2002 PSD Lariat crew cab 2wd. It had never towed was stock and rust free/orig paint (guys daily driver). All the 4wd crews were either big $$, ton of miles (450,000miles 'just broken in' haha), beat to death, or rusty northern trucks. I came out ahead money wise - and suspension/brakes/steering are new/rebuilt. I prepped new axles ahead of time and did swap in a weekend by myself.

My previous 2000 F350 had heavy suspension/plow prep - rode rough. This 2002 with coils rides pretty nice and turns nice considering the wheel base.

A few pics F350 by Joe Cape Fear | Photobucket

Hopefully this will help someone out. Pm me if you have questions.

· Registered
69 Posts
zrtman,
I looked at your pics and found the part number for the right bucket, but can not see the part number for the left bucket. Can you tell me what that is please?
I do not have the part number. Just look up for a 2005/2007 F250 4wd. They were $150ish for the pair. One was quite a bit cheaper than the other for some reason.

· Registered
1,973 Posts
ZRTman, you ended up with a great truck there. If you could just bolt the 5spd auto from the 6.0 behind it, you would have the best of the best IMO.

Nicely done mod work...and heavy work to be doing by yourself, congrats!

· Registered
69 Posts
ZRTman, you ended up with a great truck there. If you could just bolt the 5spd auto from the 6.0 behind it, you would have the best of the best IMO.

Nicely done mod work...and heavy work to be doing by yourself, congrats!
Phil,

Yes - the 4R100 is the downfall of my truck... I wish there was a kit to adapt it. Someone could make some money if they could figure out how to do it...

**ALSO** to make your abs work - use the speed sensors from '99-04. The later 05+ are different internally. Since my truck was 2wd I purchased the front 4wd sensors (for a 99-04) and just moved/slid the grommets on the cable so they would fit just like the 05+. No abs light.

· Registered
1,973 Posts
Good detail to post for someone else trying the same swap. Thanks.

· Premium Member
2,197 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
I did the same swap about 7 mos ago. I never put out pictures yet but I do have them. I didnt read carefully about the other swap but one difference I did notice was I used a 05 up steering box. It solved the pitman arm issue. To use the 05 up you need to change one steering line to the 05 up style. Also the 3 bolts need to be drilled out to 18mm I believe and you need longer bolts because the frame on the newer trucks indents in and allows for shorter bolts but the older frame is wider and the newer bolts are too short. Everything lines up perfectly though. I bought new coil spring mounts and new radius arm brackets and they all line up pretty nice with the stock holes. The track bar bracket required drilling out two holes if I remember correctly. I would def. not re use the old steering box as your not gaining the full amount of the swap. The new box is much quicker and responsive compared to the old box and matches well with the new suspension. Actually that was the first thinG I noticed about the truck when I drove it. I have been driving it for about 6 mos and love it. But me being the way I am I couldnt leave it alone so I made a 4 link for it and added 4.5" Icon springs. I will post a picture of the truck.
Hi - The information you guys have been providing has helped me out a ton, as I am in the middle of doing the spring conversion on my 2005 Excursion.
I did have one questions?
You quoted "that you solved the pitman arm issue. To use the 05 up (steering box) you need to change one steering line to the 05 up style". Would this be the case on a 2005 Ex?
Thank you in advance for your help.

· Registered
2 Posts
Phil G and Zrtman,

The Ford 4R100 transmission has a phenomenal foundation. With the right parts and upgrades ( Stallion Torque Converter ) it can be bullet proof. Google and or call BTS ( Brians Truck Shop ) in Arkansas. BTS builds 4R100's for diesel pickup racing and truck pulling. The 5R100 transmission was stronger than the 4R100 off the assembly line. However, the 4R100 has a stronger foundation and can be built for very high HP. The 5R100 is only can only be built for around 500 HP.....over that, and the life of the transmission takes a dive in durability and reliability.

If I had a 1999 - 2004 Ford F250 or F350 Super Duty and wanted to convert to front coil suspension, Dana 60 axle, etc. I would simply get the entire chassis...frame, axles, suspension from a 2005 - 2007 and set the 1999- 2004 body, 7.3L and 4R100 on the 2005 - 2007 chassis. Seems to me that would be much easier.

· Registered
1 Posts
I'm going to be doing the swap in the near future I have almost everything but before I go into it I want to make sure I'm running the correct brake lines also what Power steering line needs to be replaced I've heard the return and the pressure so I'm not really sure and what size hardware is required for the new power steering box

41 - 60 of 77 Posts