The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a new memeber, but am curious.....

If you buy....say the 8" full traction lift with the coil springs for the frontend......and then a couple years later, you want to upgrade to coilovers....

Can you buy the separate parts in the future to convert to coilovers, or do you have to re-buy the whole lift? On the front axle 4 link mounts, where the coilovers mount to the axle, do you get the same lower mount when you purchase either lift coils or the kit for the coilover conversion? Or do you have to buy a new mount if you decide to switch to coilovers in the future? It would be nice if the mount could be used with either or, but it probably isn't. I know for the upper side of the coilover,you have to get a whole new mount for that, but I wasn't sure for the lower.

Reason I'm asking is because I would like to buy the 8" 4 link conversion and then in the future be able to upgrade to coils. Just wondering, besides the upper coilover mount hoop, what else is different between the coil spring and coilover kits that needs to be changed so coilovers can be utilized.

Any and all help is appreciated....

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm also becoming very interested in this lift and would like some more info.

I currently have an 8" Fabtech lift. I rides so terrible that I don't really want to ever drive it. I was doing some research on buying an 8" Icon lift when I came accross this post. I am primarily looking for ride quality on a lifted superduty.

Does the steering radius increase with this kit?
What is the maintenance with the kit?
Do you have to run a coilovers? I'm not understanding the differences in the coil spring and coilover options.
Does the death wobble occur with this system?
Also, what rear leaf spring set ups are people running to go along with an 8" FTS front conversion.

I'm going to replace my lift as soon as I figure out the best route for me . Thanks

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I'm a new memeber, but am curious.....

If you buy....say the 8" full traction lift with the coil springs for the frontend......and then a couple years later, you want to upgrade to coilovers....

Can you buy the separate parts in the future to convert to coilovers, or do you have to re-buy the whole lift? On the front axle 4 link mounts, where the coilovers mount to the axle, do you get the same lower mount when you purchase either lift coils or the kit for the coilover conversion? Or do you have to buy a new mount if you decide to switch to coilovers in the future? It would be nice if the mount could be used with either or, but it probably isn't. I know for the upper side of the coilover,you have to get a whole new mount for that, but I wasn't sure for the lower.

Reason I'm asking is because I would like to buy the 8" 4 link conversion and then in the future be able to upgrade to coils. Just wondering, besides the upper coilover mount hoop, what else is different between the coil spring and coilover kits that needs to be changed so coilovers can be utilized.

Any and all help is appreciated....

What year is your truck?

If it's a 99-04 the Full Traction 4-link is setup for coilovers only.

I'm also becoming very interested in this lift and would like some more info.

I currently have an 8" Fabtech lift. I rides so terrible that I don't really want to ever drive it. I was doing some research on buying an 8" Icon lift when I came accross this post. I am primarily looking for ride quality on a lifted superduty.

Does the steering radius increase with this kit?
What is the maintenance with the kit?
Do you have to run a coilovers? I'm not understanding the differences in the coil spring and coilover options.
Does the death wobble occur with this system?
Also, what rear leaf spring set ups are people running to go along with an 8" FTS front conversion.

I'm going to replace my lift as soon as I figure out the best route for me . Thanks

Turning radius is the same in that once the stops that are built into the knuckles hit that's all you can turn. Of course if you are currently rubbing your leaf springs you may get a little more turning ability with the 4-link.

It's important to keep the rod ends greased.

The kit is designed to run coilovers.

No death wobble.

We use Icon rear springs.

Full Traction 8 Inch 4-Link I.C.G Conversion - Late 1999-2004 F250/350 4wd - 2000-2004 F250/F350 SRW 4wd - Truck Toyz Store

·
Registered
5 Posts
The rig I'm picking up next spring is actually an 06 I believe. It's the murdered out Sport edition one. It's a buddy of mine's that wants to sell it.

Does this help you to give me a more precise answer?

Like I said, I basically want to be able to buy the 4 link kit, set it up with that for a while, and then when I get more $$, switch over to the coilovers on the frontend. I just would hate to have to buy 2 seperate entire lift kits if I were to ever switch over to coiloves. I would think you could buy the pieces seperately to upgrade the frontend.

Does this help to clafiry things?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The rig I'm picking up next spring is actually an 06 I believe. It's the murdered out Sport edition one. It's a buddy of mine's that wants to sell it.

Does this help you to give me a more precise answer?

Like I said, I basically want to be able to buy the 4 link kit, set it up with that for a while, and then when I get more $$, switch over to the coilovers on the frontend. I just would hate to have to buy 2 seperate entire lift kits if I were to ever switch over to coiloves. I would think you could buy the pieces seperately to upgrade the frontend.

Does this help to clafiry things?

Yep with a 06 you can run a Full Traction 4-link with coil springs, or Icon Vehicle Dynamics, etc.... and upgrade later to coilovers if you want.

·
Registered
896 Posts
With aftermarket coil over kits, are you guys able to saw off a bit of the steering stops cast into the knuckles so as to get more wheel cut for a tighter turning radius? Like maybe 3/4" off of each post?

Would the limiting factor then be the steering linkage? (either range in the steering gear box, or pitman/draglink clearance with other components, including the axle cover?) If you changed the linkage, would these obstacle be present?

The number one reason I'd consider a coil conversion is to have a better turning radius, and yet still keep my 7.3L I don't want (can't afford) a new 6.4L truck, and won't touch a used 6.0L truck. I do not want any lift at all. Just a better turning radius. Is this possible with any of the kits mentioned here?

·
Registered
25 Posts
i emailed Jesse from his site but never got a reply. I'm looking to convert my 2001 in early February.

Maybe Jesse can reply here or if you guys know of another place to get the kit that knows their E#(R$#)Y.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
We sell quite a few of the Full Traction systems and are sponsors of this site.
Are there any specific questions that you have regarding the full traction?

Full Traction 8 Inch 4-Link I.C.G Conversion - Late 1999-2004 F250/350 4wd - 2000-2004 F250/F350 SRW 4wd - Truck Toyz Store

Full Traction 6 Inch 4-Link I.C.G Conversion - Late 1999-2004 F250/350 4wd - 2000-2004 F250/F350 SRW 4wd - Truck Toyz Store

By hitting the "Configure" button on our site you can add the coilovers and rear suspension options if needed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
my question was mostly to do with if the kit is in stock or not and the cost. Alot of guys say the kit is adjustable from 4 to 8 inches but there are two different kits,,,,....????

What's the deal with setting up the Kings...?? valving etc...????

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Full Traction has been good about shipping the kits out as of late.

We can use either Kings, Sway-A-Way, or Fox coilovers in the front. We have them valved to what we've found to work the best on the Super Duty.

·
Registered
25 Posts
what about adjustability with the two kits...??

·
Registered
33 Posts
OK, Now I understand better. The Full Traction Conversion is made to run coilovers exclusively. Also, the steering radius does not improve because the axles and knuckes are the are reused but the ride is supposed to be greatly improved from a leafspring front end.

Anyone else have personal experience with this kit?

·
Registered
25 Posts
does anyone know if Farmboy is still around, or of anyone else that carries the kit at a decent price.....??? Trucktoys just bumped their price up by 500 bones.... WOW... the economy must be better than I thought.....

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
does anyone know if Farmboy is still around, or of anyone else that carries the kit at a decent price.....??? Trucktoys just bumped their price up by 500 bones.... WOW... the economy must be better than I thought.....
Let me correct your statement, Full Traction bumped their price up. Sorry but we have no control over that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The product's good! I've heard quite a lot of positive feedbacks about it. Plus I've seen one installed on a friend's truck. Overall it's a good suspension upgrade! :thup:

·
Registered
191 Posts
I know I'm reviving a 3 -year old thread, but is this coilover still available and will the 99-04 work on a 96 F350?

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Yes, yes...but still not what should be done..we have been using '05 up SD axles and suspension in OBS trucks for 4 years...my '97 has '08 axles..

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Bringing this one back up. I currently have 4" leaf spring lift and would like to stay at that height. I'm tired of bouncing around on this suspension and looking to change it up. Is the full traction kit the way to go? If I was to go the other route (buying the 05 and up axles etc.) I would still need to buy a lift so I am guessing I would be in the same price range. Is there any benefit to going one way or the other?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts