The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to hauling this heavy and I'm in the market for a truck. I'd really like to get an old 80s bull nose Ford. Anybody out there hauling heavy with one of these? Looking at a f250 6.9 idi/7.3 or 351W. Ik it's not diesel but if can do the job and not **** itself I'm in. Met a guy with a 8th gen f350 tow truckthat he claimed had the 351? Also willing to install upgrades if needed. Appreciate any info and opinions y'all. 馃憤

Registered
Don't do it. Look for a 7.3 Powerstroke with 4.11 axle.

Registered

Registered
Nope - had a '89 F250 and at 140k it had a lot of trouble pulling a 10k, 28 footer. I had a 351 and manual box in that one - great truck, bought new and kept it 11 years but it just couldn't haul that load. Maintenance was kept up on it too - sold it for $6300 in 2000.

Registered
It isn't just the weight. In fact the weight is more of a problem stopping than it is pulling. On a trailer its the windage that burns fuel. You're punching a great big square hole in the atmosphere and doing it at 60+ MPH. You get that 6.9 or 351 pulling into a quartering cross wind and its going to feel like you're dragging an anchor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts