The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I have a list of stuff I'd like to do to my truck (pyro, moved air intake..exhaust,return lines.. you know the usual "make it better" mods. Problem Is that i'm a newb and cannot afford the downtime of a botched job, so i was wondering if there was a club or mentor group of sorts where an knowledgable member can come over and for agreed upon compensation (case of beer, donation to their fav charity..whatever works...) help me do my mods. A kind of IDI club where we can help each other work on our trucks.

i'm personally in kennesaw GA if anyone's in my area.
i tried to find the correct forum for this thread but i didn't find a "club" forum. in case a moderator gets mad at this....

Ok, thanks!

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
My advise would be to start your planning use common sense, and ask specific questions here. There is a LOT of experience here, and then having done that virtually on your own would give you the experience to keep it in good shape down the road. Take it in small weekend steps once it's all planned out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks oldrebuiltdodge, i've def learned ALOT just by reading this forum, but I thought it would be a cool idea to get together with a couple of other IDI'ers out there and help each other out. Even if I felt confident to do some of this myself, I do not have anyone to lend a second pair of hands...or eyes..only my wife who most likely would be watching the children while i cursed myself blue in the garage...
besides, as you get older it's harder and harder to make friends, especially since I refuse to operate a "dumb" phone or text...that excludes almost everyone under the age of 30....it might be nice to hang out with like minded IDI'ers...

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Welcome to the Diesel Stop

Have you considered starting a club in your area?

There is tons of information here, and it seems that at most any time of any day, one or more of us IDI guys are logged in an looking. I like to think I am already a member of the biggest, smartest bunch of IDI owners in the world, since I am a member of TDS.

There are other forums and groups dedicated to the IDI, and with a little snooping on the www you could find them, but its been my experience that the most friendly non cussing, tolerant members are right here.

If you have the basic tools and skills to take something apart, we can walk you through ANY thing you would want/need to do. Just ask. For the record, I have in the past given my phone number and talked someone through a procedure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Chuckster, I guess i'm considering it now! I thought i'd check here first to see if one existed. I thought that, you know the Harley guy's get together and ride..probably wrench a little, the Rice Burner Guys (ahem..) Foreign Sports Car Enthusiast's get together and rev their little engines..why not us? I just don't trust the quality of people you find on CL these days, you gotta be careful on that site now..so much BS.
And thanks for the encouraging words..I do learn better with hands-on instruction (should've gone to Tech School..) but i'm a pretty quick learner, just not all that confident, and I don't mind a little cussin' as long as it doesn't take the Lords name in vain..

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Don't limit yourself to IDI owners/enthusiasts. Other than their engines, most components of these trucks are identical to gasser F-series, Broncos, & even Centurion conversions of the era. Most mods that apply to any one of them apply to all of them, so broaden your horizons & you'll broaden your potential helpers/club members/resources.

If you want to see some UNusual "make-it-better mods", browse the photo albums in my signature link. ;) Your truck could become the first IDI to have a "factory" low fuel light, or power-adjustable pedals with memory.

And take a few minutes to put all your truck's details in your signature; both to keep track of what you're working on, and what has already been done. Click this & read the caption:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts