The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum. I would really appreciate some help and advice. I have a 2005 6.0 diesel Excursion. I love my truck and I believe my head gaskets just blew. While going on a family trip, my radiator cracked. Did not realized it till it was too late. I have white smoke coming out of my trucks exhaust. I worked as a general mechanic for about 15 years and I do all of the mechanical work on my cars. I have done about two dozen gas engine heads and I would like to do my truck's heads gasket replacement myself. I just would like to know how much different is the work. I look at the diesel engine and it generally looks the same as a V8. Please advise if this is something that I can do myself. I would really appreciate it. FYI, I have fixed my trucks turbo myself. Thanking you guys in advance

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am also in the process of doing head gaskets... my friends truck...04 6.0.. ....then my truck...04 6.0....next month...... anyways... the main difference I can tell is....EVERYTHING is heavy... and dirty..lol... I too was a general mechanic... it did take us about 12 hrs. From draining coolant and oil...To get the heads off... it is a learning curve of what comes off first... second... blah blah blah... we are doing it with the cab on... no real difficulties... just have a friend with long arms and fingers... it'll come in handy..... if you can turn a wrench... and be somewhat patient.... it should not be too bad..... good luck and just do it...lol:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Did my own a few years ago. As stated, the heads are heavy...I weighed them and they're 65 lbs each! You will need space (I used 3 benches) to put all the parts. Keep them organized and clean them as you take stuff apart...taking lots of pictures might help when you can't figure out where something goes. I did do mine with the cab on, which makes it a bit harder. Draining the block is a pain...I cut open a large pop bottle to act as funnel. The starter will have to come out to get the right side plug out. There is a list of stuff you should do while you're doing this job, like stc fitting upgrade and a few others. I did a write up while doing mine. If you want it, let me know and I will email it to you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First of all, thank you yz450f269 for the encouraging words. I really appreciate that. Another question I have is what is a good repair manual to use to get the torque specs when I put back together. Once I get the manual, I will start buying the parts that I need to replace.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the info fordsforever73. Really appreciate you taking the time to give me advice. I would also appreciate if you could send me your list of upgrade that you recommend me doing on the engine. My e-mail address is [email protected]. Thank you again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am using the "Chilton"... like I said...I'm in the process... so I couldn't speak for it being a "good manuel "...we got my friends heads off, and he is going to check them for flatness and cracks... then next month I'm going to do mine... same engine..lol... should have the kinks worked out with my friends... mine should be quicker.:thumbsup:
Fordsforever.. could I get a copy to please... [email protected]
Thanks.

Reactions: djmechanic

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
You can likely do it yourself. I'm of the opinion that if you can follow instructions and know a bit about engines its not really all that hard. It is time consuming, and can be hard on your body if you leave the cab on, but it can be done that way too.

You can buy a Ford factory manual on CD for about $60. Just print out the pertinent sections. If they get greasy and ruined you can just print them again.

While doing HGs typically you would address any other bulletproofing item that has not been handled. So, STC fitting, EGR cooler, oil cooler, standpipes & dummy plugs, etc. I would advise replacing the glow plug harnesses as they get very brittle from the heat and even if you manage to get them off in one piece often develop problems in short order.

The biggest thing is to make sure that the engine is timed right when installing the heads. The locating dowel pin on the harmonic balancer must be at 6 0'clock. Failing to do this often results in a bent pushrod and having to go back into the engine to fix it.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Sent you guys a "package". Andy.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I wrote a guide to removing and reinstalling the cab if you go that way, just PM me your email and I'll email it to you. Its too big to attach and post here.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I was driving my 2005 Excursion when the Radiator cracked also, i babied it home, flushed and installed a new one, low and behold white smoke came out several different times, i did the bubble test and it showed that the EGR cooler was more then likely the Problem, changed the egr cooler, and that was the issue. not the head gaskets, dont jump the gun!! the EGR cooler and Radiator both cracked at the same time for me

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
True, OR, you've already got planned downtime with the truck. Use that to fully bulletproof it and never worry about any aspect of it again. The HGs on a 6.0 are a known issue. Even if they aren't your problem now, they will be in the future. Mr. Murphy will ensure that when they go in the future you will be 2,000 miles from home pulling a trailer and it won't start due to hydrolocking in the hotel parking lot. Now you're out of your area, paying whatever the shop you can find that can work on it wants. IMO, don't tempt Mr. Murphy. His law will smack you every time, and its in a very thick and heavy book.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First of all I want to thank everyone here for their help. I really appreciate it. I need more help. I just pulled the heads off my 6.0L truck . I have heard and seen on Youtube that ford has said that the heads should not get resurface. That all I should do is take them off, replace the head gasket, and put it back together without getting them done. As long as the head do not have more than .004 clearance they are good to go. The .004 clearance is the updated max that Ford has said to use on the 6.0L. Also, the head has a grove that Ford has said to leave alone and not resurface because this helps the head gasket seal better. Please someone that had done this job and truck still running help me. I would really appreciate it. Thanking you in advance,

·
Registered
36 Posts
They can and IMHO.... should be done.... with sets I did, they were done... just be aware of valve clearance... both trucks I've done are running great.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi yz450f269,
I was wondering if you have done your head gaskets and how it turn out. I have a question concerning the heads. Did you take them to a machine shop to get them done or did you just check them to make sure that they were not warped. I just took them off my truck and I don't know what to do. Please advice. Thanking you in advance,

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Given the level of precision involved and the fact that about 2 out of every 3 6.0 heads are cracked you take the heads to a machine shop, or its basically a waste of time to do the job.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree with TKO...i took BOTH sets, to get cleaned... decked(surfaced) and to get magnafluxed( checked for cracks ). I was lucky, neither set was beyond help..Ir...no cracks. It was worth the price ($175 per set), for piece of mind... I would hate to see u put it back together and have something go, that could've been prevented. and if u have any questions during this process, post them up... this forum, and guys like TKO, have been a wealth of time saving advice,
good luck...

·
Registered
2,446 Posts

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
And you replace all 16 pushrods if you machine those heads or get reman'd ones. The replacement pushrods are .058" shorter and tolerate anything that affects rocker geometry. Machining your heads or getting reman'd heads that are almost assured of having been machined can put the head close enough to bottom lifters. This why Ford changed the length when the 6.4 came out and obsoleted the longer ones.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts