The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlights just stopped working the other day, fog lights are working fine but headlights are completely dark and my high beam indicator won't go off, then all of a sudden my lights started working again and then they just stopped working again, I have a 2002 f350 7.3, any ideas what it could be? I just dont want to spend money on electrical parts when a certain one may not be the issue since I can't return opened electrical components (dealership rules)

·
Registered
722 Posts
I had that problem when I used after market lamps-they finally burns completely out on a very dark night.I only use stock number lamps now!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
How much control do you have with the headlight switch?
Could be the switch has gone bad or is part bad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually got a new head light switch and tested it and that didnt fix my issue at all. So idk what it could be now. I was thinking about replacing the multi function stalk switch but it turns on all my turn signals, wipers work and everything so I'm lost

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Are there any blown fuses either under the dash or under the hood?
I am trying to remember if there is a relay under the hood with the fuses that work with the headlights.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No there's no blown fuses under the dash that I saw, i didn't look under the hood because I got to thinking if it was a fuse then they wouldnt have stopped working,and then started working again and also I'm not too sure where the fuses are under the hood

·
Super Moderator
26,296 Posts
No there's no blown fuses under the dash that I saw, i didn't look under the hood because I got to thinking if it was a fuse then they wouldnt have stopped working,and then started working again and also I'm not too sure where the fuses are under the hood
On an '02 you won't have any fuses under the hood. Everything was moved to under dash for that MY and later.
Do you have ANYTHING on your lights (high or low beams)? It could be that your multifunction switch has gone south on you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have nothing at all coming out of my headlights, and that's what i was thinking as well but I didn't know since my turn signals and wipers and everything works just fine and my 4 ways

·
Super Moderator
26,296 Posts
I have nothing at all coming out of my headlights, and that's what i was thinking as well but I didn't know since my turn signals and wipers and everything works just fine and my 4 ways
Those are different circuits, so it could just be the headlight power input to the MF switch. You can pull off the steering column cover and test the MF switch to be sure. Don't have a wiring diagram handy or I could give you the appropriate wire colors/terminal to test. Here's a pic of the MF switch installation with the cover off. Those two extra wires are where I spliced into the turn signal circuits for signal mirrors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok awesome thanks a lot!!! I'll rip into that tomorrow and check it out and test it, they all of a sudden started working for me again as I was driving home from work today again but I have to figure it out before it leaves me in the dark one night

·
Super Moderator
26,296 Posts
Here's some wiring diagram stuff that should help you.

View attachment 02 headlamp wiring.pdf

View attachment 02 Multifunction Switch connector.pdf

Do your high beams come on when you pull the stalk back toward the steering wheel? That should happen even with the headlight switch turned off. That's thru the left switch on the diagram that bypasses the main light switch.

You're looking for power into the MF switch on the dark blue/orange wire and out on the gray/orange wire when you pull the stalk back.

With the headlight switch on, you're looking for power into the MF switch on the red/yellow wire to low beams and on the gray/orange wire to high beams.

Your connector and MF switch are different from mine (in the photo). You have two connectors where I have just one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome thanks so much I appreciate it! And yes my high beams work when my lights work like they currently are, but when they randomly stop working on me there's no light coming out at all but my high beam indicator will be on when I turn my headlight switch on

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
A question, does the tilting of the steering wheel have any thing to do with lights working or not working?

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,296 Posts
I actually can't get them images to show it just says missing photo
Those are pdf files. You'll need Adobe Reader on your computer to open them. I see Googs posted one as a picture.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having that problem as well, my head lights are affected by the tilting of the steering wheel. Seems like it is more prone to doing it when I first start my truck. 2002 f250

·
Registered
620 Posts
Check the wiring that goes over the drivers side fender, I had a similar problem where a wire had chafed on the nut that holds the front shock.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts