The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I developed a leak in the engine compartment of my 94 IDI f-350 The leak is coming from below the heater hoses and air conditioning box. It has alluminum insulation below the box and I have not taken it off yet because it is salmon season and the fish are entering the river. Priorities you know. Anyway at first it was just a leak and I have been keeping an eye on it and keeping the radiator full. a couple days ago it started to steam up the windshield. Yesterday it steamed alot. There is no liquid on the carpet but the steam and smell of antifreeze was strong. I was about 20 miles from home so I figured I would run one of the heater hoses from one engine port to another when I got home til I could get a core. I turned the heat off and turned the fan on and it cleared the windshield and I started home. I was climbing a hill and a loud bang and the low water light came on. I immediately pulled over and lifted the hood. It was the upper radiator hose. It exploded and tore it for about an 8" long tear. Never had one blow up like that so I had a splice in one of the heater hoses for flushing purposes so I disconnected it there and took the other hose off and routed the short hose back to the block and left the truck along the road all night. The next morning I replaced the heater hose and now I need to replace the heater core I guess I did search some old posts and it appears the core is really under the dash and pretty easy to access. My question is , is it possible to have the core leak and steam the window without soaking the carpet? Just leaking inside the engine compartment?

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
If the A/C condensation drain tray extends under the heater core, then the coolant may have a path out of the cab. It's also possible the leak isn't big enough yet.

I have yet to see a windshield get steamed from any coolant line leaks in the engine bay. In all the cases I've seen the heater core was the problem.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
What Chuckster said.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree

I was surprised to see the heater core was acessable from inside the cab because the water was dripping inside the engine compartment. I thought it was the heater core all along but it did not steam till the last minute a hour before the top radiator hose blew like a rocket. Naturally it was on a weekend after 6 so I had to leave the truck along the side of the road til morning fortunately Napa had a new radiator hose. Unfortunately they did not have a heater core. Fortunately it will be here tomorrow and sounds like it will be a quick fix if I can get the inside out of the glove box ok. Thanks for your comments.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts