The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
The BFGoodrich AllTerrain tire with 3,750 weight capacity will let you put up to 7,500 pounds on your rear axle that has a limit of 6,084 pounds. Or if you are a believer that Ford really put a rear axle rated at 6,830 pounds in your F-250, that's still a lot less than the 7,500 pounds tire limit with ordinary LT285/75R16E tires.

If you insist on overloading your rear axle, then you should be taken out and shot at sunrise. Endangering my grandkids on the road is not a good idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Smokey should know better (he is the stat man) but if you go to the Visteon website, (they make your axle) you will find the axle is rated at 9700 pounds.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
flyweel...you're getting close.....ok so what your saying is ....just the trailer at 1400 lbs toung weight is my limit.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave - I would say yes.

And I say this ONLY because:

1) you are recreational
2) you have a truck full 'o family
3) you have a bumper pull

You're not just trying to get a tractor to a jobsite 25 miles away or moving dirt at 45 miles per hour - you're in vacation mode, with under-rated truck with a HUGE bumper-pull trailer.

At least having the stability of a dually or a gooseneck (but there goes you bed payload) would put you in a better situation.

But since you have to do what you have to do - just be careful and don't have any problems.

I just may be oversensitive to the bumper pull thing because I don't like the way they pull - but I haven't had the experience of pulling your rig - so it may be better.

I would be interested to see what the scales have to say - but like I said - I don't think mechanically you are going to kill your truck - its going to likely be a stability and comfort thing - which could compromise safety. If I had a permanent rig (truck / trailer / etc) - I would have it all rated appropriatly - so you have piece of mind and a safety margin if something fails.

BTW - your wheels are rated for about 3400lbs I believe...

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Smokey should know better (he is the stat man) but if you go to the Visteon website, (they make your axle) you will find the axle is rated at 9700 pounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're talking about a 2001 model. Back then, Ford owned and ran the Sterling MI axle plant. And Ford specs for 2001 SuperDuty pickups say the 10.5" rear axle in an F-250 was rated at 6,084 pounds @ground.

Sometime during the 2003 model year, Visteon bought the plant from Ford. You can use Visteon specs after the 2003 model year, but not for a 2001.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
So Visteon bought the plant - made a few changes and now the axle is rated for 3000# more??? Hmmm.....

Are specs available on the actual axle component for a pre 2003 axle (not the Ford sticker that includes the tires and wheels...)?

My trailer axles are rated for 3500lbs - but the trailer is rated for 6000lbs. Point is, it comes down to the limiting factors or weakest link.

Without hard data, I would still put a pretty good bet that the 6084 axle rating on the sticker is not the actual design parameters of the axle assembly itself....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Actually the Sterling Plant has been brought back to Ford about a year ago. No longer Visteon

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
this is a mess.....i looked at the sticker and rear gawr is as smokey says 6084.......my truck weighs 8800 half of that is 4400 plus what i want to put on 2600 = 7000.....so im over by 900 lbs...what can be done.........now no one get pissed at me.....im not argueing....but its only 900 lbs over....dosent seem that critiacl....i can get tires rated at 4000x2 is 8000 in back a 1000 over....so the issue is being 900 lba over the axil rateing.....there has to be a way to do this with minimal danger......awww hell now that ive typed it...im not convinced my self ....7000 is alot....but i dought the ass end of my truck weighs 4400...there is nothing there...plus the axil housing itself isnt weight on itself just the tires.....p.s. look guys i want your help but if anyone is getting pissed just know that im a reasonable person, but have many alternative ideas...if you can make me understand im wrong...[ sometimes it takes awile ]im man enoughf to admit it and thankyou for your insight and troble.....david

·
Registered
227 Posts
you are wrong. get a bigger truck so there is no figuring to do. get a bigger truck, a bigger hitch, bigger tires. also make sure your trailer tongue is not going to fold up on you.

you cant take truck weight and divide by two. go to the scales so you know what is on EACH axle exactly. with your trailer loaded and you will know. you may be able to shift some trailer weight or get a weight distributing hitch to transfer some so each axle does its share. over is over and there is no way around it. get a bigger truck. eliminate all your weak links. make sure each axle is sufficient, tires, hitch, hitch ball, bolts, trailer tongue capacity, you get the idea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The only problem you will have is Power, or lack of it. Throw on a set of air bags, some load range E tires and get on down the road!
Flame suit on LOL!

Thanks
Brenden

·
Registered
227 Posts
not sure why you will have trouble with power. i tow three times that with my truck with same power plant except for rear end gears. truck trailer and load at 40k pounds at the scales last night. wold get on down the road at 65-70. flame suit needs to work your truck so you know what it can do. just do it the right way without exceeding any limiting capacity. i have load range g tires.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Actually the Sterling Plant has been brought back to Ford about a year ago. No longer Visteon

[/ QUOTE ]

....so the axle rating is back down to 6084lbs? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
David - yep - your math is right - but remember, the Axle Weight Ratings EXCEED the GVWR - so it somes down to distribution as well as overall weight...You are actually at about 2200lbs overweight...IF you go by the numbers.

Like thes two other posters asre saying, you can do it (like home depot....we can help...).

BUT -
You are overweight
The bumper pull trailer you have is dang heavy
Now add a pretty substantial load to the back of you SRW truck

it is a freakin' heavy load and not adviseable for a family trip.

If you were going 20 miles up the road - no problemo - but loading up with kid and stuff on vacation is just plain wrong.

You need a dually. heck - get a dually rear axle, sway bar and front wheel adapters and fender flares - you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
285 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We're talking about a 2001 model. Back then, Ford owned and ran the Sterling MI axle plant. And Ford specs for 2001 SuperDuty pickups say the 10.5" rear axle in an F-250 was rated at 6,084 pounds @ground.

Sometime during the 2003 model year, Visteon bought the plant from Ford. You can use Visteon specs after the 2003 model year, but not for a 2001.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a real question not a retort.
Have you seen anything that would indicate there was a change in the design, (large or small) or for that matter any parts changes

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
ok i figured you all spent this much time and effort....so i went to the scales today.......gross combines truck and trailer all loaded and wet was 19,920 the trailer only was 12,140 the trailer toungh weight was 1,360 and the suprise kicker was i put just the rear of the truck on the scale and it only weighs 3,140...ok here we go the rear half is 3140 plus the toungh weight is 1360 1360+3140=4,500 so if i add the 1200 i want to add it will be 5,700.....now ive seen it for myself ...is this ok...or am i still not seeing the big picture.....david

·
Registered
227 Posts
what was your front axle weight and rear axle weight while hooked up. and what was your trailer axle weigths while hooked up.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
man i didnt think i had to weigh half the truck wile hooked up.....heck i thought about doing that and thought everyone would want it all seperated like i did it so they could do the math themselves....but now that iv'e raved on and on....why do you ask that question ?????

·
Registered
227 Posts
those are the actual weights that matter. weight transfers to the axles are measured when hooked up. then there is no math to do. either you have the capacity or not. very cut and dry. hook up with all your gear and go back to scale. put each truck axle on its own scale WHILE HOOKED UP and the trailer axles together on the scale WHILE HOOKED UP with everything you expect to ahve with you. even the family.

·
Registered
227 Posts
also do you have a hitch that will hold that cause the limits of your factory one is exceeded. also your drawbar and ball. some of the huge ones are limited to 12k max and 1200 tongue weight. the cheap o ones that most people have are limited to about 6k and 600 tongue weight.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Go to your local truck stop that has scales, you can get weights for each axle, it costs something like 5 or 6 bucks.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts