The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, long time site member. I had a 05 F350 6.0 in the past when I was active on here. Had it bullet proofed with new turbo and injectors. Loved the truck but ran out of need for it and sold it.

As life goes, I now have a need for another truck so I just picked up a 2016 F350 DRW crew cab lariat. It feels GREAT to be back in a diesel. This truck is bone stock and I have to admit I am really impressed with this 6.7 so far.

Is there anything I need to watch out for with these 6.7's? Is it like the 6.0 in the fact that I need to drive it like I stole it every once in a while?

I look forward to being active again and learning from the wealth of knowledge this site has to offer.

Thanks, Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Couple items....

don't mix def in the diesel and don't mix diesel in the DEF. Fuel diesel or fill DEF, don't open both at same time cause accidents happen....is a $10K repair.

Buy diesel from a high volume station to avoid possible water in fuel. The CP4 pump does not do well with no lubrication.

Otherwise, drive it like you stole it, the 6.7 is a beast compared to the 7.3, 6.0 or 6.4.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response larrgh. That's to funny man, I was literally just getting diesel and was thinking how expensive that would be if you accidentally mixed it up.

I'll definitely stick to a high volume supplier. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I would suggest a locking fuel cap....a little bit of insurance....you have to actually unlock it so you are aware of fueling verses DEF......and if doing DEF, I pull away from the pump before adding any....and with the locking fuel cap, you probably won't be holding DEF and accidentally add to fuel tank....

You can get the Stand locking green cap off eBay for less than $15....10510D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Tank-Cap-Diesel-Only-Locking-Fuel-Cap-fits-08-15-Ford-F-450-Super-Duty/362135943695?epid=93717009&hash=item5450fbfa0f:g:ySMAAOSw6zNbl~PX

Also, get the Ford DEF nozzle.....less than $7 at your local dealer or online...it fits most DEF jugs (I use Wal Mart for l3ss than $8 for 2.5 gallon jug) and fits snug in the def tube. Also stops when full and less prone to spills which can be corrosive to the paint. P/N PM-27-N

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=pm27n&_sacat=0&_sop=15

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
+1 on the locking fuel cap by Stant.

Nothing better than removing a green fuel cap to remind you to grab the green pump handle.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts

Nothing better than removing a green fuel cap to remind you to grab the green pump handle.

Except at BP.....green pump handle is gasoline....

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts

Except at BP.....green pump handle is gasoline....
No kidding?
Thanks for the heads up...you may have just saved me future problems as I get older and my vision goes to hell leaving me to rely more often on clues like colors.
Fortunately, I steer clear of BP like the plague.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
No kidding....BP diesel is usually black and gasoline is green...

·
Registered
856 Posts
WOW! Your truck looks like a photo negative of mine (see my pic). ☺ Welcome back!
Like you, I owned an ‘05 6.0 liter (see sig). It remained stock except for some Autometer A-pillar gauges. I only sold it because I was ready for a dually.
The only advice I can give you is what has worked for me. I am VERY aggressive about maintenance. I change oil & filters myself (I have installed a Fumoto Valve & I love it) using 5W40 full synthetic oil & Motorcraft filters. I also check the water separator monthly draining about a half pint of fuel into a glass jar. I have never found any water, but t still check.
While I am completely capable of changing the fuel filters myself, I take the truck to my local Ford dealer to have this done because I know the diesel tech there & trust him completely. While the truck is having the filters changed I ask him to thoroughly check everything such as coolant, brake fluid, hoses, belts, brake pads & take care of whatever scheduled maintenance is due. I tell him to do whatever he would do if it were his own personal truck. This has worked very well for me with the two Superduties I have owned.
I also want to mention that my truck is completely bone stock & I intend to keep it that way. I am more interested in warranty & longevity than any gains in performance. As I have mentioned here before, I have towed my 16,400 pound 5th wheel over nearly every mountain pass in the western US & I don’t think I’ve had my foot to the floor yet. I would only consider deletes & engine modifications in the event of some kind of failure that required overhaul or replacement.
Once again, congratulations on your new truck. Enjoy the ride, keep smiling & welcome back to the site.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Petko, trucks definitely look like the negative copy haha.
Thanks for the info guys. I'll definitely check out that fuel cap.
Thanks again, Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts