The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I'm new to forums. I have a 2001 f250 I work on my own trucks. This is my second 7.3. Both have the zf5 6 speed manual transmissions. I just replaced the high pressure oil pump and then my rear end went out. I replaced it with a brand new 1995 ring and pin. So now my problem is a grinding sound/ winning whistle from the top of my transmission!! Please help me fix Frankenstein!!
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Sky

· Premium Member
15,514 Posts
Did this noise start right after the axle swap? The driveline has a curious way of resonating noises. Axle noise could be appearing to come from the transmission. What's the status of the transmission fluid? Which fluid do you use?

· Administrator
25,100 Posts
Like RT said, noise can travel up thru the drivetrain. Noises are notoriously hard to diagnose, especially over the internet, but I'm going to guess that since you replaced the ring & pinion, they weren't set up correctly for tooth pattern and/or lash. Either that or the bearing preload was incorrect. Another issue is the '97 ring & pinoin is smaller than the one your truck came with (10.25 vs. 10.5 inches diameter ring gear)

· Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Hello everyone I'm new to forums. I have a 2001 f250 I work on my own trucks. This is my second 7.3. Both have the zf5 6 speed manual transmissions. I just replaced the high pressure oil pump and then my rear end went out. I replaced it with a brand new 1995 ring and pin. So now my problem is a grinding sound/ winning whistle from the top of my transmission!! Please help me fix Frankenstein!! View attachment 187564
Good evening, As others have noted specific analysis by the noise descriptions of others is difficult in person and even more so passed on into this media.
So, this mostly deaf old man will throw a bit his career experiences in, some technical and some from when he could hear extraordinary well.
Like others I would opine that the noises you describe are more likely sourced in the recently rebuilt rear differential. If so, below applies

Typical observers noise descriptions

Typical "Whine".... A high pitch high frequency noise whose amplitude is modulated by a forcing factor like speed.

Bearing Defect Noise .... A roar that sounds like buckshot sloshing in a coffee can, also modulated by the forcing factor of fundamental speed.

Note... just a descriptive way of saying the faster one goes the louder it is, until the human ear can't discern anything frequency specific, just max volume.

Technical

A speed modulated "whine" is typically produced by the interactive meshing of a driving gear with a driven gear. The "whine" is more than just noise, it is energy at the Gear Mesh frequency.
Design strategies to reduce this GMF energy are in the adjustment of driving and driven gears to each other in the applicable planes for the gear combination type.
It is an easily mathmatically quantified external diagnostic to make if one has sophisticated vibration analysis equipment capable generating waveform and spectra for confirmation.
Few typical automotive users have that equipment or the training and experience to make a specific gear defect analysis. In my business it's a common task in industrial drive line gear boxes that have multiple gear sets in one big box. Often with a bearing set or sets that can have their own bearing defect frequencies.
This differential application has one gear mesh, the R&P, so they can just go right to it. Let's do that
Most likely the root cause is incorrect engagement of the R&P and possibly a pinion bearing improperly adjusted in combination.

Jim

· Registered
2001 F-350 CC 7.3 PSD
52 Posts
Hello everyone I'm new to forums. I have a 2001 f250 I work on my own trucks. This is my second 7.3. Both have the zf5 6 speed manual transmissions. I just replaced the high pressure oil pump and then my rear end went out. I replaced it with a brand new 1995 ring and pin. So now my problem is a grinding sound/ winning whistle from the top of my transmission!! Please help me fix Frankenstein!! View attachment 187564
I'm just taking a moment to admire that clean, good looking truck! Looks to be in great shape for a 2001! Good job! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts