The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just had rear main seal and oil pan replaced... get home and due to another issue -- o-ring at end of high pressure oil line getting fried twice within 40 miles and replaced there is much oil residue and leaking? -- tried to check my oil, and removed dipstick and it will not re-insert. There has not been this problem AT ALL prior to the repairs, It goes in better than 3/4 of the way and then feels like it is hitting the oil pan. what could be going on? Please help! Thank you.

·
Registered
White '99.5 F250 SD XLT 4x2, 7.3PSD, 6spd, SuperCab, Short Bed - purchased Oct'05
1,543 Posts
I think you know exactly where the issue is. Crawl under the truck and inspect the fitting where it enters the side of the oil pan on the passenger side. Inspect the dipstick tube for kinks. Then call the shop that did the work. I know there can be coincident failures but this seems pretty cut and dried, unless you bent the tube fixing the leak.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply… Everything was done by the same shop. The O-ring leak is at the base of the high-pressure oil line that is between the fuel filter and the alternator so it’s not near the dipstick or dipstick tube...

Speaking of that O-ring they replaced it and I drove the truck only about 40 miles and it started slinging oil everywhere under the hood again , turned out to be the same O-ring that they said was already fried again… Said it was a bad O-ring and have put in yet another… I haven’t had a chance to drive it anywhere again since getting the truck back from that, plus the rear main and the oil pan…

any thoughts about this O-ring? Situation? Thank you so much

·
Super Moderator
26,333 Posts
If they used plain ol' BunaN o-rings, don't expect very good service from them. The original o-rings are Viton, which is a more durable material.

Also, it's possible that they didn't use locktite on the fitting after replacing the o-ring and the fitting loosened up.

As far as your dipstick, try turning it another direction when you insert it. The dipstick adapter on the side of the pan may not have been installed correctly.

Was your rear main seal actually leaking, or was the oil dripping from another source? The rear main seals on 7.3L engines rarely leak.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If they used plain ol' BunaN o-rings, don't expect very good service from them. The original o-rings are Viton, which is a more durable material.

Also, it's possible that they didn't use locktite on the fitting after replacing the o-ring and the fitting loosened up.

As far as your dipstick, try turning it another direction when you insert it. The dipstick adapter on the side of the pan may not have been installed correctly.

Was your rear main seal actually leaking, or was the oil dripping from another source? The rear main seals on 7.3L engines rarely leak.

I will find out about the o-rings, I do know this last time they obtained them straight from Ford. Will also find out about the status on the fitting.

DID try turning, rotating the dipstick while attempting to insert it, nothing works...

I've had so much trouble with this truck leaking volumes of oil, all within the past year and a half, the HPOP, has been replaced multiple times, now on number FOUR . The latest and the one now doing the job is an OEM Ford part, that diesel shop that did the work only recommended either that one, or an even better one (cannot remember the make) which couldn't be obtained for at least a week and I was on the road.

The oil cooler has been replaced back in September, and according to mechanic, both the rear main seal and oil pan were leaking now. And I'm back to worrying about those o-rings, too.

·
Premium Member
15,031 Posts
The dipstick tube inserts into the dipstick adapter just about exactly where you say it is locking up. That's where olddieseldude was pointing you. There is an o-ring there, too, by the way. Check that that tube is perfectly aligned with the dipstick tube, that the dipstick tube is fully inserted into the adapter, and that they didn't kink the tube when they installed it. You may even need to pull the tube and see if they pinched the end shoving it in the hole.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dipstick tube inserts into the dipstick adapter just about exactly where you say it is locking up. That's where olddieseldude was pointing you. There is an o-ring there, too, by the way. Check that that tube is perfectly aligned with the dipstick tube, that the dipstick tube is fully inserted into the adapter, and that they didn't kink the tube when they installed it. You may even need to pull the tube and see if they pinched the end shoving it in the hole.
Thank you very much. Will check this out fully and will update.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good morning, the dipstick tube did have a kink into it. Also there was an issue with the way the adapter seal (?) or o-ring was aligned (?) on the oil pan. Shop has replaced the dipstick tube, and an aftermarket dipstick is thinner (still flat) metal that does go in but you have to really work it, and it is also shorter, which changes the oil reading on the dipstick. I’m a bit concerned about all this, at least the dipstick can be fully inserted now and can get an “adjusted” reading. It is a Dorman dipstick and reportedly a Dorman oil pan. Thank you,

the o-ring issue with high pressure line, the jury is still out. And after most recent other oil leak issues of repairing the rear main seal, and the oil pan, I still have a double leak area under my truck... ?

·
Premium Member
15,031 Posts
I might accept a Dorman part on a disposable vehicle, but most of us plan on keeping our trucks forever. Get some quality parts in there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I might accept a Dorman part on a disposable vehicle, but most of us plan on keeping our trucks forever. Get some quality parts in there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you -- and I'm well on my way to this one forever, at 433,178 right now... it's my second 7.3 and I wish I had never traded my other one -- because guess what I traded for -- a 6.0 !!!! Aarrgghh....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts