The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so here I am. My truck has just quit on me in a weird way 2002 F350 7.3 L 4WD, LWB, CC … Driving 73 MPH on a four-lane divided highway… Rpm suddenly jumped almost into red then the needle dropped to zero and all the warning lights Came on the dash and the engine stalled then the needle jumped back up nearly to red again, the engine stalled and grabbed again the lights went out then it went back down to zero and the engine shut off again lights came on again this happened three times in a row and then the engine absolutely died —-I’m on the side of the road on a nasty curve.

In the past few weeks I’ve had the rear main seal done, the oil pan replaced, high pressure oil line fitting O-rings, Hydro boost, and even then the turbo replaced. I was still getting an oil leak and they said the oil pan was warped and they did some things under there and got it to stop leaking before I got on the road. I am leaking there is oil underneath the truck on the oil pan and pretty much just several places under the truck… However I do have oil on my dipstick so I didn’t run out of oil. Just mentioning the oil leak…

What could this be? I’m in a place where I don’t want to crawl under the hood to look and see if there’s any oil in the valley because I won’t be able to see all the vehicles coming up on me on this curve...

I’ve called AAA, am an hour away from any kind of help on a Saturday and that shop is only open for a limited hours of course and then sitting here two hours already and no AAA nor have I heard from the driver…

Any ideas? Sorry for the long message

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Additional information—new alternator about four months ago, new batteries about four months ago ago

·
Registered
161 Posts
Where are you at right now? (Location) Your profile doesn’t mention a state or city.

·
Premium Member
2,235 Posts
I have had similar symptoms with a CPS failure.

Reactions: sevanson1

·
Premium Member
9,489 Posts
The big question is where are you?

Without seeing if there is a code we would be shooting in the dark. With the tach jumping around I would suspect something electrical. The CPS might be a good place to start.

Reactions: sevanson1

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello I am broke down in Northern New Mexico.... I was headed to Wyoming… Yes when the tach needle was jumping around the engine was stalling out and then coming back to life. I got towed to a shop and there hasn’t been anyone to look at it until there will be sometime this morning… This morning being Monday.

The turbo was just replaced before I got on the road from West Texas Like, turbo done 2days prior. There’s also an oil leak again , and I crawled under the truck and I can’t tell where it’s coming from , and wasn’t able to look under the hood to see if there was any oil in the valley because of the unsafe area I was at and being under the hood not able to see oncoming vehicles —- at least I could look down the road while I was under the truck.

Don’t know if the newest oil leak has anything to do with this problem, however on the dipstick , oil was not low.

CPS Has been replaced about three times in the last couple of years… Although Truck didn’t ever have quite these symptoms, freaking out and shutting down at 70 MPH....

Thanks y’all I haven’t been able to get on here again until this morning early…

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Northern NM is a big area...which little town?
Good luck with fixing it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So there was a wire that came loose or some thing and was getting hot on the exhaust manifold and shorting out the PCM ? they got me running and I got over the pass in the Colorado and now it’s “missing “ the truck is missing ... feels like even like back in the days of spark plugs..

Could this have caused more problems ? Thanks in advance ....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Id say if one got burned stands to reason more could have too...I'd look over the harness myself...scanner info would help

·
Registered
638 Posts
First check the wiring that goes over the drivers side valve cover for a short. This is a known and common chafing point. I would then pull the valve covers and check the under valve cover harness for a good connection. This is also a known issue with our trucks. I recently had and injector not firing due to a loose connection.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts