The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes, I'm new to this forum so I hope this doesn't rub anyone the wrong way, but hopefully i'll find a truck soon and i'll be here to stay :)

Here it goes:

I live in the Southwest and I have a chance to buy this 1997 f250 4x4 with the 7.3 motor. it has 190K original miles... I currently drive a little Tacoma, but I have been wanting an older bullet proof diesel to tow a 6k lb boat/trailer. I am hoping this is the one! The guy is asking 12,000 but I am thinking he may negotiate a bit... I know this is over blue book, but I also know there is a market for these trucks since I have been looking for about a month. Just saw a 97 f350 crew cab 7.3 4x4 go for 15k a couple days ago with 170k miles...

Am I crazy for thinking about paying that much for a truck like this? Or is that in line with the going market?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hi! DAH7 I do not think it is an unreasonable price if the truck has been taken care of and they have all the records to support care and replacement parts etc. I have a 95 F350 crew cab dually and it currently has 984,xxx mi. on the original engine and a good friend of mine that still hauls campers, boats, and horse trailers for a living about 2 months ago offered $10,500 for mine now of course he also, wants my spare 30,000 mi. genuine factory built motor that I have been sitting on for a long time just waiting for my original engine to die but, it still runs great. I don't put the miles on it as much as I use to but,once a year I still drive it to Florida and I also, do 6-700mi trips a few times a year. He had a 96 dually identical to mine and his motor finally bit the dust at 1,110,xxx mi. I did turn him down call me crazy if you want but, I love this truck and its in great condition considering it's age and mileage also, I know this truck inside and out and I also know how well it's been taken care of. My family will probably bury me in my truck with my Harley in the back. Lol Good Luck on whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I forgot to mention the truck you a looking at by the pictures looks to have been well taken care. Hopefully, they also, have all the maintenance records to go with it and any receipts for anything replaced. I have all receipts for all oil changes, etc. for everything since my truck was new and I am the second owner of my truck. The original owner also, kept all receipts for everything done. The truck is worth whatever someone is willing to pay and they are the most popular and reliable of all the trucks. IMO

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mule, thanks for the response. The guys said he has maintenance records, so I think I am going to go look at the truck this afternoon and see if it all adds up.

·
Registered
517 Posts
At least you don't have to worry about it being all rusted out.What part of the southwest are you in? I'm in Arizona.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mule, I am in Phoenix! I think the truck was a trade in from the original owner.. The guy said If I don't buy it he is going to list it for sale on ebay.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yeah, I'm 2 hours north of you. Have you gone to look at it or inspect it yet? Is it at a dealership? I'm going to send you a private message with my name and phone number you are more than welcome to give me a call after I get off work at 4 30 if you would like to talk about the truck.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I sent you a private message I might have sent it twice by accident. If you don't get the message let me know.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sent you a private message I might have sent it twice by accident. If you don't get the message let me know.
Mule, thanks for the offer.. I never got your private message though. I went and looked at the truck in person yesterday and it was not nearly as clean as it appeared in the photos. My search continues!

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Mule,

984,000 miles.

16,000 miles to go !

That is the highest I have ever heard.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally bought one, I'm going to start a new thread with photos. Thanks to everyone who offered up some guidance, I really appreciate it guys.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Mule,

984,000 miles.

16,000 miles to go !

That is the highest I have ever heard.
Yeah, it's been a great truck and it continues too. Over the years when I was hauling campers, etc. I ran across about 10 people that had over a million miles the most ever was 1,4xx,000 mi. A good friend of mine that had recently wanted to buy my truck she had 1,1xx,000 mi. on hers when she lost the motor.

·
Registered
517 Posts
DAH7 I'm glad you that you finally bought a truck hopefully, it will be a great one for you. If you look at the top of the screen where it says HOME,FORUMS,ACTIVE TOPICS,NEWS POSTS,etc.. the next line below it you will see in red letters private messages if you click on it- it will take you to any private messages you have. Anyway, if you ever have any ?'s about your new to you truck feel free to give me a call after 4 30pm M-F anytime on the weekends. I wont recognize the number so leave a message and I will call you back asap. My name is Mike 928-600-4578.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts