The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some help on this one. Fuse 22 repeatedly blows and has left me on the side of the road. The first time it happened I pulled the wire for the fuel filter bowl heater and all was well. Exactly a year later it blows again and I realized that I should have not left that wire dangle on the block, I wrapped it in tape and all was well.

Now 2 year later its still taped off but the fuse blows, what else should I look at? There's a second wire plugged in directly above the lower one that I pulled 4 years ago, what's that for?

Any suggestions appreciated, its too damn cold to be breaking down.
Thanks

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
On your 97, there should be 3 wires on the driver's side of the fuel bowl:

Top most wire is for the Fuel Restriction Sensor (located on the Fuel Pressure Regulator block)
Middle wire is for the Fuel Heater (funky-looking spade connector)
Lower wire is for the Water-In-Fuel sensor

If you have in fact disconnected the correct wire for the heater, you will need to check the wiring from the fuse out to the fuel bowl wiring harness connector and heater, and also to the Glow Plug Relay coil (and on to the PCM pin 101) for a short to ground.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
9,279 Posts
Here is a picture of the filter housing and where things are located.

Also here is what else that fuse controls:

Fuel Line Heater, 215 Amp Generator/Voltage Regulator, PCM Power Relay Coil, Glow Plug Controller

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you gentlemen! This afternoon I pulled the entire filter housing out and confirmed that I had not disconnected the heater four years ago, but instead pulled the lead for the water sensor.

The funky spade connector for the fuel heater was damn near impossible to pull, even after getting the assembly on the shop bench I almost destroyed it prying it off. Apparently either heat from the engine or the short hardened the plastic to the point of nearly welding it on!

The heat element was completely loose from its plate and will not be going back in. I've read about some fellas installing a later model Super Duty element in place of the OEM for these rigs and will look into doing the same at a later point. Have either of you done the same?

Thanks again Patrick and Bugman, pictures help a ton!

frank

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another quick question, I cleaned a bit of fuel and gunk out of the valley and noticed that there was a little more fuel sitting in the valley behind the fuel pump. Is there a weak link either at or behind the fuel pump that I should dig into? There isn't any fuel on the ground or dripping off the truck, so its not a gusher, at least not yet. Thanks again for the great info!

frank

·
Premium Member
9,279 Posts
The fuel that you found could be coming from either a leaking hose or the weep hole on the fuel pump.

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
Also, check the heater feed-through on the bowl after it gets reinstalled. It can get damaged when trying to get the spade connector off (this is from experience). If it is damaged, you can get a new one which is about $50. Let me know if you need the part number for it. I always recommend disconnecting he heater from inside the bowl to prevent damaging the feed-through. Cheers!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again fellas. I tore it all down, cleaned it up (it was kinda scumy inside) and replaced as many o-rings as the local parts store had that matched and now she (the truck) is back in action.

You know, its starting to get to the point where I'm starting to get to know the old girl pretty good as I have to get after her hick-ups here and there. Can't imagine replacing her with anything else.

Thanks for time! frank

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have the same problem blew #22 fuse, put another one in blew that, then put a 40 amp in blew that one now I have a 50 amp fuse and it seems to be alright. Will go ahead and change the glow plug relay and unplug the fuel heater and see how that goes....hard to blow a 40 amp fuse but it did. Any thoughts does the fuel heater pull that much current to pop a 40 amp maxxi fuse?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,279 Posts
Have the same problem blew #22 fuse, put another one in blew that, then put a 40 amp in blew that one now I have a 50 amp fuse and it seems to be alright. Will go ahead and change the glow plug relay and unplug the fuel heater and see how that goes....hard to blow a 40 amp fuse but it did. Any thoughts does the fuel heater pull that much current to pop a 40 amp maxxi fuse?
Thanks
Unless you want a engine wire harness fire and a lot of expensive repairs I would take out that 50 amp fuse and replace it with what is suppose to be there. Fuses are there for the wire protection and not just a inconvenience to you.

Unplug the fuel heater.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unless you want a engine wire harness fire and a lot of expensive repairs I would take out that 50 amp fuse and replace it with what is suppose to be there. Fuses are there for the wire protection and not just a inconvenience to you.

Unplug the fuel heater.
true, I guess I should have been more clear, I did that to make it home from the middle of nowhere about 60 miles, and have not driven it since. Will be pushing the truck out of the garage to work on it this afternoon went out and bought some 30 amps in case I pop a few.
Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
6 Posts
forgot to post the glow plug wire was pinched in the fuel cover where the fuel filter goes so that is what caused that. I have another issue I started the truck and backed it out, let it idle, and the engine shut off by itself I went and checked the fuse...fuse 22 was not blown.... but then when I tried starting it again the fuse blow fixn to unplug the fuel bowl heater and see if that works unless someone has another suggestion....thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts