The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm a new member to the forum. I have a 2004 Excursion 6.0 Powerstroke. I replaced the passenger side battery and was wondering what attaches to the two screw clips located on the right side of the battery (when looking from the front of the truck). From all the pictures I've seen on the internet, it looks like the coolant tank attaches there on gas models. Thanks in advance for your help. I look forward to being a member of the EX community.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
It's more expensive to make a battery tray for every vehicle than to make one that fits many. So Ford just orders one from that supplier, and ships it to all the assembly lines.

If it bothers you, remove the U-nuts. They might be handy to have a spares later on, and removing them will protect them from battery acid leaks.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
These are for attaching a heat shield that will protect your battery from the heat of the engine and make it last longer.

·
Super Moderator
25,409 Posts
If it were a 7.3L that would be where the coolant reservoir attaches. There are two bolts into the passenger side battery tray and another up on the radiator support. Maybe those on your battery tray are just holdovers from the earlier trucks with the 7.3L.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Yes, the coolant degas bottle was attached there on 5.4L and 6.8L gas engine applications... and as mentioned, that is where the degas bottle for 7.3L applications was bolted in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These are for attaching a heat shield that will protect your battery from the heat of the engine and make it last longer.
Don,

Any chance you would have a picture of the heat shield you speak of? I’ve seen the cheap cloth/foam ones but nothing that would attach there on the passenger side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts