The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I know this topic has been beat to death, but after reading hundreds of threads on fan clutch removal I still have a few questions. First is regarding the threading; I have seen some say it is RH thread and some say it is LH thread. Some have said use an air hammer and some state to use the wrench set. This is what has caused my confusion. On my truck, the typical wrench set does not look like it works because I can't get the water pump pulley to stop turning. It appears I need some type of hook wrench to place in the many holes around the pulley and then a wrench to put on the clutch nut. Yesterday I was using a piece of flat stock, that I had cut to 1 7/8" and was hitting it with a happen to hopefully break it free. I also tried my air chisel, but that makes me very nervous, since I don't want to damage the water pump bearings. I really need to get this fan clutch off and replaced, since I am borrowing a friends truck to go back/forth to work. Any help, pics, diagrams, explanations, how-to's are greatly welcome. I found this tool kit online and a few others like it. Thanks. JD

Attachments

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Reactions: gadawg31

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Hello everyone,

I know this topic has been beat to death, but after reading hundreds of threads on fan clutch removal I still have a few questions. First is regarding the threading; I have seen some say it is RH thread and some say it is LH thread. Some have said use an air hammer and some state to use the wrench set. This is what has caused my confusion. On my truck, the typical wrench set does not look like it works because I can't get the water pump pulley to stop turning. It appears I need some type of hook wrench to place in the many holes around the pulley and then a wrench to put on the clutch nut. Yesterday I was using a piece of flat stock, that I had cut to 1 7/8" and was hitting it with a happen to hopefully break it free. I also tried my air chisel, but that makes me very nervous, since I don't want to damage the water pump bearings. I really need to get this fan clutch off and replaced, since I am borrowing a friends truck to go back/forth to work. Any help, pics, diagrams, explanations, how-to's are greatly welcome. I found this tool kit online and a few others like it. Thanks. JD

JD - The 6.4L fan clutch is a LEFT HAND THREAD which means that as you are facing the engine you need to turn the nut clockwise or to the right.

Obviously there are special tools for this procedure, a wrench to turn the nut and a holding tool that prevents the pulley from turning. The tools you pictured in your post look like the factory tools and are correct. One of the most popular and my personal choice is a pneumatic fan clutch wrench that uses an air hammer to loosen these stubborn clutch nuts easily. Look for Lisle 43300 Pneumatic Fan Clutch Wrench Set ---> Lisle Corporation

In an emergency you could use an air hammer and a sharp chisel end placed directly on the flat of the clutch nut. I have seen this done and there are quite a few trucks running around with marked up fan clutch nuts. This method is crude but I have to concede, it does work. I only suggest it if you have no other choice. As for damaging the water pump I have never seen it happen as a direct result. Using the Lisle pneumatic wrench tool is totally safe as the force from the air hammer is is directed onto a wrench and not directly on the nut. Hope this helps.

Reactions: gadawg31

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ford_doctor, thank you for clarifying the thread rotation. This was my main concern and I have a buddy that is going to let me use his Lisle Tool set. I was actually told to turn the nut towards the passenger side of the truck and apparently that is wrong. This came from a supposed diesel mechanic, which I can assure you I will not consult again. Again, thanks for the help.

JD

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
The 6.4L fan clutch is different than all of the others. It is the only Ford diesel clutch that has a LH thread that I know of.

·
Premium Member
15,110 Posts

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I think all the IDI engines were left handed clutches.
Wow you are right! Just looked it up. It has been a loooooong time since I have put my hands on one of those engines. Crap, CRS is creepin in!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts