The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The truck is a 2000 Ford F350 7.3 Crew Cab.

Withing the past week an electrical issue became noticeable, first starting as a buzzing noise after I started the truck on morning.

2 nights ago it starting honking at 2 AM, and yesterday the parking lights turned on while it was parked. Last night the interior lights turned on an exterior lights started flashing.

Before all this, I had notice that ever so often the speedometer would act funny and fluctuate. It happened so seldom, so I didn't pay a lot of attention to to it, but now think it may be related.

From reading I thought it could be something related to the GEM because of a known issue with water leaking in the lower part of the windshield. I took that out today, looked at it and found no indication of damage.

Not sure now.

It seems like the cause would be somewhere else where there is a common junction, but am not sure now.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don't have a security system.

I did buy the truck used, so there could be an old wiring in place if one used to be there. I don't think so though.

It was raining lightly, when the lights came one. Same thing the night before, but the horn.

Could be GEM be bad and there be not noticeable signs of damage? etc.,

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any one know about the new improved GEM design by Ford?

I usually only buy parts form sellers I have some familiarity with, but had found this one seller who claimed to be selling the improved version of the GEM. Not sure if I believe them, but it sounds legit.

1999 2000 Ford F-350 GEM Module for models without Power Windows or Power Locks

I thought if this place sells them others must too, but how would I know I'm buying a improved version?

8,786 Posts
Water intrusion into the unit might not be seen.You may want to have someone use a garden hose on windshield while you are under there.Search for an old alarm unit while you are under dash.You may also want to identify the fuse. For that circuit so you will be able to pull it if needed as not to upset neighbors

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I've been through the horn thing, with a little bit of 'truck won't shut off', and relays chattering with no key in the ignition....It was all from water getting into the fusebox and shorting hot-at-all-times circuits to hot-in-run circuits. You actually have to take it apart to see the water, and there is no way to just "shake it out".

On another note, there are guys who have been rudely awakened in the middle of the night by their truck trying to start itself. How fun would that be. Glad I have a manual with the CPP switch

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks.

I have it all out today and was going to try and pry open the fuse box, but it doesn't come apart easy. I didn't want to damage anything, so didn't take it off the whole way.

The GEM comes apart much easier.

After carefully looking at the GEM, I'm thinking it's possible there was some moisture there but still hard to tell.

Will reassemble later and reinstall.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There good step by step instructions/ pic's on this web-site;
1999 2000 Ford F-350 GEM Module for models without Power Windows or Power Locks

The pictures shown are of a 1997 model, However the instructions and basic concepts are are exactly the same for 1997-2003 F-150, F-250 F-350, Excursion and Expedition Models
Disconnect your battery to avoid serious electrical damage before starting.

The first step is to remove the trim panel that covers the gap between the upper side of the steering column and the dash. It just unsnaps from the dash. It makes it a little easier to remove if you move the shifter all the way down to drive 1.

With that out of the way the lower dash cover can now be removed. Most of the screws have 7 mm heads but there are two that have 8 mm heads.

Those two are at the lower edge of the fuse box.

One wiring harness needs to be disconnected from the panel.

Now the screws for the fuse box can be removed.

The wiring harnesses can be removed from the back of the fuse box. Two 10 mm headed bolts at the center of each connector.

Next remove the tube brace from around the bottom of the steering column. Four fasteners with 13 mm heads.

Now wiggle, pry and twist the fuse box and GEM module assembly down.

After the assembly is down far enough unplug the remaining harness connectors from the GEM module.

Almost there.

(continued below)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The assembly is now free of the vehicle.

The GEM module is held to the back of the fuse box by three phillips headed screws.

Easy to remove Now.

With the three screws removed the GEM unplugs from the back of the fuse box.

Put it all back together, Reconnect your battery and check all functions, everything should be good to go!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How is a leak in a lower windshield even fixed?

I probably could figure it out, but would like to know the best way.
Found an answer in another thread.
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f27/water-leak-inside-fuse-panel-183828/
ISSUE
The customer may report a water leak from the windshield. This may be caused by a skip or a void in the production sealer somewhere around the periphery of the windshield.

ACTION
Apply a bead of Liquid Butyl Sealer (F8AZ-19554-CA) under the weatherstrip around the periphery of the windshield. Refer to the appropriate Service or Workshop Manual for weatherstrip removal where necessary.

NOTE DUE TO DIFFICULTY IN DETERMINING THE EXACT LOCATION OF A WATER LEAK, IT MAY BE IDEAL TO SEAL THE ENTIRE WINDSHIELD PERIPHERY (SIDES, TOP AND BOTTOM) TO ENSURE REPAIR OF THE LEAK.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To get the fusebox apart, try this thread http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f27/fusebox-disassembly-310910/?highlight=

You can also take the gem apart, as it is only a single circuit board it should be easy to see any moisture.
Thanks for the info.

Having trouble with the fuse box.

I think it probably looks something like that is in the pic's and some of the layers may be fused. Will try the silicon spray mentioned in the thread.
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f27/fusebox-disassembly-310910/

I have PB Blaster too. Need to figure out if that will damage anything.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I used the silicon spray after I took the box apart and dried it. Just spraying the outside of the box will do nothing.

Your truck fusebox is identical to mine. Just pay attention to where the fuses go. When separating the fusebox, don't torque the layers too hard or you will pull the traces out of their positions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know this is old but just wanted to post the fix.

It was a leaking windshield dripping into GEM.

I took the GEM apart and could barely notice any water but did see some. Taking it apart seemed to help dry it out too.

I then got a filler (silicone?, clear liquid) at auto parts store. A product which advertised it's self at being good at flowing into and filling small cracks.

It worked as advertised and I have had no problems (blinking dash lights, crazy speedometer, horn beeping in the middle of the night, etc.,) since I did this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is old but just wanted to post the fix. It was a leaking windshield dripping into GEM. I took the GEM apart and could barely notice any water but did see some. Taking it apart seemed to help dry it out too. I then got a filler (silicone?, clear liquid) at auto parts store. A product which advertised it's self at being good at flowing into and filling small cracks. It worked as advertised and I have had no problems (blinking dash lights, crazy speedometer, horn beeping in the middle of the night, etc.,) since I did this.
where did you apply the sealant exactly? I have the same problem. Horn at night coming on, leak from somewhere. From what I read could be leaking from the cowling or the windshield.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts