The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at purchasing either an F5 or an F6 and I have a few questions.

Question 1- Why should I spend the extra money for the F6?

Question 2- I'm considering No start, Stock, 60hp tow, 80hp tow, 80 Econo, and the 100hp tunes. My truck is a late 99 7.3 6 speed with an AFE Stage 2 Filter, Wicked Wheel, MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust and pyro/boost gauges. I tow a 30' travel trailer that is supposed to weigh about 6,000lbs dry so I'm guessing it'll be closer to 8,000lbs when it's fully loaded. What do you think about the tune package I have selected? Would you keep it or change it?

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Looking at purchasing either an F5 or an F6 and I have a few questions.

Question 1- Why should I spend the extra money for the F6?

Question 2- I'm considering No start, Stock, 60hp tow, 80hp tow, 80 Econo, and the 100hp tunes. My truck is a late 99 7.3 6 speed with an AFE Stage 2 Filter, Wicked Wheel, MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust and pyro/boost gauges. I tow a 30' travel trailer that is supposed to weigh about 6,000lbs dry so I'm guessing it'll be closer to 8,000lbs when it's fully loaded. What do you think about the tune package I have selected? Would you keep it or change it?
The F5 and F6 hold the same amount of tunes(16). However, with the F5, you will have to send it back to us if you ever want to add tunes or update your current ones. With the F6, you are able to put tunes on the chip yourself without ever removing it from the PCM. We e-mail you the tunes, you connect your laptop/computer to the chip via USB, and then you just load them directly onto the chip. It is much more convenient than having to pull the chip and send it in.

The tune package you have selected sounds good. The 80HP Tow tune is designed for the weight you plan on towing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Justin!

Just one more question though. I've done a ton of research about the DP-Tuner and have read the only difference between the econo and tow tunes is the transmission shifting points. Is this true? I have a 6 speed hand shaker and don't want to waste money on shift points I don't need. Phil

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply Justin!

Just one more question though. I've done a ton of research about the DP-Tuner and have read the only difference between the econo and tow tunes is the transmission shifting points. Is this true? I have a 6 speed hand shaker and don't want to waste money on shift points I don't need. Phil
No problem!

There are quite a few differences between towing and economy tunes, even for manual trucks. The transmission shifting is just part of it(for the autos). Fueling is different between tow and economy tunes as well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for the help! I ordered my chip a few hours ago and I'm already anxious as all hell to have it in my hands. So that leads me to a question, how long should I expect to wait to receive my order? Phil

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Thanks again for the help! I ordered my chip a few hours ago and I'm already anxious as all hell to have it in my hands. So that leads me to a question, how long should I expect to wait to receive my order? Phil
No problem, that is what I am here for. :thumbsup:

It really depends on the shipping speed you chose. I am sure Diane will have your order shipped out tomorrow. :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I installed the chip and all I can say is WOW! Totally different truck! So what should my next mod be to enhance the performance of the chip without a reburn. In another thread you said the FRX mod is a good one but what else do you recommend?

·
Registered
377 Posts
You are kinda at the point now where the WOW you saw from the tuner will not be experienced again without several thousand more dollars.
You can make small improvements that will make you feel better about your truck, but dont expect big improvements in power. The trouble here, is that the supporting mods for the "next step" are really expensive. If you are happy with the power, which you probably will be for a while, The FRX, HPX, Hutch MOD, Fuel pressure gauge, are all worth doing for under $200 each. If you want to take it to the next step, get some stage 1 injectors ($1200 for reman), but be prepared to upgrade the HPOP ($500) and re tune (free if you buy injectors thru dp). This still wont duplicate the WOW factor you got from the DP tuner.

Then you may want to look into clutch upgrades as well.
If you want to go with stage 2s or bigger ($1200+), you will need to upgrade the fuel supply system ($600+), turbo($1000+), and Dual HPOPS... ($$$$$$)$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
So I installed the chip and all I can say is WOW! Totally different truck! So what should my next mod be to enhance the performance of the chip without a reburn. In another thread you said the FRX mod is a good one but what else do you recommend?
Glad you like it! :thumbsup:

The FRx is a good mod, but it will not increase power any. It is really just to quiet the injectors down a little and ensure that you are keeping the injectors happy by not forcing air through them and/or starving them of fuel.

You are kinda at the point now where the WOW you saw from the tuner will not be experienced again without several thousand more dollars.
You can make small improvements that will make you feel better about your truck, but dont expect big improvements in power. The trouble here, is that the supporting mods for the "next step" are really expensive. If you are happy with the power, which you probably will be for a while, The FRX, HPX, Hutch MOD, Fuel pressure gauge, are all worth doing for under $200 each. If you want to take it to the next step, get some stage 1 injectors ($1200 for reman), but be prepared to upgrade the HPOP ($500) and re tune (free if you buy injectors thru dp). This still wont duplicate the WOW factor you got from the DP tuner.

Then you may want to look into clutch upgrades as well.
If you want to go with stage 2s or bigger ($1200+), you will need to upgrade the fuel supply system ($600+), turbo($1000+), and Dual HPOPS... ($$$$$$)$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Great response. You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Justin,
What would the negative/positive effects of a straight pipe be to my truck with the current tune? I'm looking for a lot more sound out of my truck. See my signature for current mods.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Hey Justin,
What would the negative/positive effects of a straight pipe be to my truck with the current tune? I'm looking for a lot more sound out of my truck. See my signature for current mods.
Adding a straight pipe exhaust will not have any effects on the tunes themselves. About the only difference you will notice is sound. You already have a 4" exhaust, so you are already benefiting from a better exhaust flow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts