The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have 2001 I have gauges istalled, cold air intake, high flow exaughts, so what I am thin id adding is a set of 4.30 gears with posit track o rear
with Tony wild man chip. if I am missing something please let me know. I am running 35 inch tires right notti

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
What's the problem? Too low of Rpm? Less towing power?

Most don't change gears until 37" tires or bigger

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4.30 gears or 4.56

Ok I HAVE READ TONS AND TONS ABOUT THIS SUBJECT. NOW i AM READY TO MAKE A MOVE. I have A 2001 POWERSTROKE, 3/4ton. it is short heel base, I have the stock wheels on it with 35inch tires, so come on guys I have seen post on here about running 37's with 4.56,running 4.30 with 33 inch tires. Lets keep with what I am asking, I am running 35's, I want to regear. I have 3.73 now and I want to go with either 4.30's or 4.56. Please tell me which on you would go with and why.
Any in pit would be great, going to do his soon

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem is, it acts like a pig around town, ver ver sluggish and everything I been reading on here to get it back to the stock rpm range is go with 4.33, and my take on it if you go with 4.33 might as well go with 4.56 there is not the much difference what do you guys think

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I've ridden in a truck with 35's and stock gearing and it ran great around town.

Have you verified that your not down on power? I have 33's and more than enough power even on stock tune.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
The problem is, it acts like a pig around town, ver ver sluggish and everything I been reading on here to get it back to the stock rpm range is go with 4.33, and my take on it if you go with 4.33 might as well go with 4.56 there is not the much difference what do you guys think
4.56 will put you at the same RPM range than your stock tire, but remember, your speedometer will still be off. to get the speedo recalibrated you need to change the tire size in the PCM.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Little bit late to the party, did you decide to do gears? What ratio did you end up with? Go with a ratio that will put you slightly deeper than the stock equivalent because the larger tires are heavier and have more rolling resistance. A deeper gear will help you overcome that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have not done the gears yet, but it is going to happen. I am going to go with 4.30's when I do it. I am in the process right now of up grading my turbo, then I am going to get some tunes, either Tony Wildman or DP tuner not sure which one yet, then I will regear.

·
Registered
393 Posts
My truck has 35's and stock gearing. The tune I just put in from DP woke her right up.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Unless you're towing or feel the need to do hole-shots easily I think it's a waste. Run 35's on mine with 3.73s. Just money spent for worse gas mileage

1 - 12 of 12 Posts