The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I'm going nuts trying to decide on a set of new A/T tires. I'm currently looking at:
Dick Cepek Fun Country 2
Dunlop Rover M/T
Nitto Trail Grappler (My favorite tread pattern)
Goodyear Wrangler Dura Trac
Pro Comp Xterrain Radial

I'm currently running a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers. These are a fantastic tire for me, but I want something that looks a bit more aggressive. I tow a lot. I do a TON of highway driving(most of my driving, actually). I go play in the snow occasionally. I need something that is not too much louder than my Terra Grapplers at highway speeds. I also do not want the steering wheel to shake and it needs to have good wear. Again, my Terra Grapplers are excellent but I want something a bit more gnarly looking.

I've done research and searched the forums. I hear good and bad things on all of these tires. Can you help me choose a set of tires so I can order them this week?

Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Tires

hey- check out the Interco TSL line of radials- the m/t is a good looking tire. just google interco tsl.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I just had a set of Nitto Terra A/Ts put on.. so far very good tire.. I was going to go with the M/T or the Hankook Dynapro M/T's but realized for my application it wouldnt be too feasbale.. I didnt want the extra road noise but I kinda do wish i got them just for the 'look'

·
Registered
354 Posts
Mickey Thompson ATZ

most agressive a/t is the interco thornbird but i doubt a bias tire would be good for your towing and highway needs

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know your running bigger than factory tires, but I just put a set of goodyear wrangler authority tires on my truck 265-75-16 E and so far I love them, a little aggresive but pretty quiet (I can hear them but barely). I got them from (I hate to admit this because I can't stand them) walmart $169 each. Here's a link if it works so you can see the tread. The link is for a load range C but I got E Walmart.com: Tires

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should add, I need something in a 305/55R20. The tires I listed DO come in that size.

MN_Mountainman- The Interco tires that come in that size that look somewhat streetable, are not available in that size. Most of the Interco tires are total off-road tires, it seems.

Caryt- The Pro Comp Xtreme A/T is another possibility. I'd like something a little more aggressive looking. I've used the Pro Comp regular A/T tires before and was very happy with them, on my Expy. Maybe this will be a good compromise tire.

RISstroker- That is the exact situation that I'm in. I'm happy with the Nitto Terra but want something that looks beefier.

Anyone have opinions on the other tires listed?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I am running the BFG AT KO's 35x12.50x16.5 They are my second set on this truck.

I had the first set on for over 70,000 miles. I do all types of driving and towing, and also do storm recovery work for the telecom industry. I have been all over the Gulf States after hurricanes, and the midwest during ice storms, and have NEVER gotten stuck. I also do a lot of boondock camping with the toyhauler.

I like them because they last, give me a good ride on the highway (this truck IS my every day driver), and perform well when I'm in the s**t.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Decided to try the Mickey Thompson ATZ on our Tahoe recently. I am extremely impressed. I've run the Nitto Terra Grapplers and BFG T/A and this tire is far superior in wet/snow traction. It's much more aggressive looking as well. They look great in pictures, but was floored when they showed up how much more aggressive they look in person. I have a truck that runs MT MTZs and am very impressed with the tread wear...I expect nothing less with the ATZs.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I tow a lot. I do a TON of highway driving(most of my driving, actually)......... and it needs to have good wear.
Thanks!
I'm no tire expert but don't these items all point in the opposite direction of an aggressive off-road tread? I've had good luck with my revo's. Somewhat aggressive tread but quiet on the highway and have given me decent tread life.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've been running the BFG's in my sig for about 50k and they look like they are good for another 20k I've neglected to rotate them as much as I should have so believe it or not the rear are more worn than the front. this is my daily driver I commute 18 mi. each way 16 is highway. I have had these on at least 5 trucks and have NEVER been let down. offroad, snow, or towing the trailer in my sig.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm no tire expert but don't these items all point in the opposite direction of an aggressive off-road tread? I've had good luck with my revo's. Somewhat aggressive tread but quiet on the highway and have given me decent tread life.

True, but I want my cake and I want to eat it too.

I know the BFG's are decent tires, but I want something a little more aggressive looking. If I was going to settle, I would just buy another set of the Nitto Terra Grapplers that I am currently running, since I like them so much.

Intheclouds1977- The Baja Claw ATZ's look pretty sweet. How are they at highway speeds (80mph or so)? Do you have any pictures of these on your truck?

Anyone have experience with any of the tires on my above list? I know someone has to...

·
Registered
354 Posts
my buddy had a set of the procomp xterrains on a chevy 2500hd.. they wore like iron

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can anyone else comment on any of these tires? I am in desperate need of new tires, but need more input on some of these...like first-hand experiences with them?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a set of Kuhmo's on mine and they're a decent tire. They have about 35K on them and are just getting ready for changing. THey still maintain a good towing load capacity and look pretty aggressive. From what I read they're the quietest in their class too, they seem to be from what I can tell.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here's some pics of the Mickey Thompson ATZs that you requested. Sorry it took me so long. Pics were taken after drive home in the snow, so they're a bit dirty:

·
Registered
24 Posts
no mikey thompsons buddies had those 1 said they were gerat so 3 went and got now they all have square tires. i ran swampers three sets but they only last 20,000 than irok look great but dont last either now i found the best tire ever pro comp extreme 38.5x15.5x20 35,000 and still look new ride great,look great, and are quite as stock tires

·
Registered
57 Posts
:thumbsup:My Mickey Thompson ATZs have been awesome. Aggressive enough to get great traction but still quiet on the highway. Just watch the pressures and rotate every 4 to 5 k and they'll last 40k or more.

·
Registered
50 Posts
How exactly does a round tire turn into a square?

I agree with you on IROKs...I got all of 9k miles out of a set of the Bias ones. Incredible offroad though.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts