The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there..
I'm new here and new to diesels

Just bought a 1994 7.3 IDI E350 cube van..
I have a diesel leak and need to change the o ring in the fuel heater.. I had to take it out from the inside of the cabin and as i was taking out the filter casing it jammed a bit and some diesel went into the intake hole ...... There were folded rags on there but still some went thru.... I took some new rags and absorbed all that i could get and I checked with flash light and couldnt see any.. I dont know if it went any further than what I can see.. And I cant see proprely because it is a tight space ..

Is this bad? Did I mess up? What is the consequence and what should I do?

Thanks a lot!!!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
If I knew what you mean by "intake hole" I would give you my NOT A DIESEL MECHANIC opinion.
Air intake? Hole? You should be able to remove those rubber intake tube parts and clean them out if that's what you are talking about. That said, If your talking about very small amounts of diesel fuel getting into the air intake I can't imagine how that could hurt anything. There is a Crank Case Vent that Tee's into that same air intake tubing & is known to cause a slimy build-up of oily residue in those intake "holes" LOL
Lot's of guys remove it & do, what around here is called, the CCV Mod.
So the intake tubing can handle some oil & diesel BUT, I wish I knew of this hole you speak of? DDT

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Regardless what "intake hole" you mean; the starter is not strong enough to bend a rod, so just put it back together & start it. If it starts, no problem. If the starter hits & stop, it's hydraulic'ed, but not damaged. Loosen the GPs, start it some more to push the liquid out, tighten the GPs, and it should run.

·
Registered
381 Posts
That sounds like fun! LOL

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Regardless what "intake hole" you mean; the starter is not strong enough to bend a rod, so just put it back together & start it. If it starts, no problem. If the starter hits & stop, it's hydraulic'ed, but not damaged. Loosen the GPs, start it some more to push the liquid out, tighten the GPs, and it should run.
That's definitely not what you want to do. If you have raw diesel fuel down the intake, pull the glow plugs, then crank the engine BY HAND, not with the starter and check for fuel coming out any glow plug holes. Using the starter with or without glow plugs removed is a good way to break a corner off the bell housing next to a starter bolt, then you've got a major repair. Seen it happen a time or two.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Master mechanic here, new to the group too!
Just bought an 89 f250 xl with NA7.3 IDI. Barn find 7yrs sitting so lots of work.

Anyways, never use the starter. Always pull the glow plugs and crank by hand.
Me personally i wouldnt even use the starter after pulling all glow plugs cause then you have a complete mess of diesel spray everywhere.
Clean your toolbox, the walls, pressure wash the hood, engine bay.and floors too!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello to everyone!
Thank you for all of you help!!!
Very appreciated.. A lot happened this month didnt get a chance to write back.. So after bleeding the lines I did get the truck started... It runs ok .. Did make a wierd noice at the beginning.. I let it run and then turned it off and turned it on again and it sounded good..

I a

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It cut off....
I am still working on the leak problem.. I have changed all the o rings and the return lines, injector blocks and the grommets(sleves) on the line that goes in the center of the injector fuel pump.. However I still have a fuel leak on the 2nd injector.. I found a old pipe at the scrap yard.. I will clean it up and try to see if it helps..
I am thinking of buying this set..

Does anyone have experiance with this site?

Thank you all for your insight.. I live in a city in Quebec Canada and the mecanics her dont seem to know much about this motor..

Thanks again!
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I don't know anything about that site, but I can tell you that there are two different size lines. My son ran into that when he had a leaking line. They also have to be the right length for each cylinder. They don't mix and match well. You can't take one that is close and make it work, or your truck will run like a turd. I have had injector pump rebuild shops bend one around for me, after they got the right length specs. they have to know what number cylinder it came from.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts