The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2002 F250 Crew Cab Lariat
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am stranded in Newburg, New York at the toll booth with a 33 foot trailer. My brakes and power steering went out. Power steering fluid is all over the place. Looks like a line on the pump is loose/out but I can't see it. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
15,126 Posts
It's fairly common to break at the pump junction - the pressure line right at that white plastic fitting. Mine blew out in my driveway (thankfully) - its not a terrible job, but you have to replace the whole line - there's no way to fix it when it blows.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found it. It is the high pressure hose on the pump. The fitting came apart. Now I need a new one and have no idea how to get it. I wonder if they will make me tow it. Anyone in Newburg want to make a couple of bucks?

·
Premium Member
15,126 Posts
Wish I was closer- not that I would charge you- just to be able to help. Most parts stores will carry the line and you can swap it with a crescent wrench.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
You should be able to limp it to a safe spot, if you're afraid of them making you get it towed. You still have manual brakes and "armstrong" power steering. You just lost the power assist on both. Just take it slow and don't try to steer unless you're rolling.

Good luck.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Autozone brought me a hose last night. Got it fixed in the dark. Managed to rip the blue hose/clamp from the turbo to intake. I guess I will lose a lot of power with it ripped and must replace it?

·
Premium Member
15,126 Posts
Yeah - that will need to be replaced. Probably should have mentioned that step one in the replacement procedure is to remove the CAC tube on that side. I don't know how you got the old one off with that pipe still on there.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Autozone might have a 3" silicone boot that will work for now. They have them in the Intake section

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got to where I was going. Stopped by Ford dealer and they didn't have one. A mechanic there said the big worry is dust getting into the turbo. I duck taped it. It sure was loud though when the turbo spooled up. I have one on order.

·
Premium Member
15,126 Posts
Great news. Would be a good time to justify stepping into the dieselsite leak proof boots.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ordered a gates boot. Are the dieselsite boots better?

·
Premium Member
15,126 Posts
I don't know much about the Gates boots, but a quick google search shows they are silicone boots just like the stock boots. The problem with those is silicone allows oil to permeate. That's the reason the stock boots are always oily and dust covered. The dieselsite boots are fluoroelastomer based which makes an absolute barrier against oil penetration. Here's the link - http://www.dieselsite.com/1999-200373ldieselsiteintercoolerbootkit.aspx

·
Registered
884 Posts
The Diesel Site boots are more expensive and have to use their special clamps because they are thicker.

Depending which boots you're talking about, you may have to specially trim them to fit [cut them down to size]

Ford seems to have solved their problem as the new boots are made of different material now, and slip right into place..

These boots have been re-engineered ....where as Diesel Site boots are just a glorified enlarged radiator hoses..

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah. The Gates boot I got looks to be the size for the lower boot. It is too big for the top boot. The part number on the top boot is C34-6C646-AB. I can't seem to find that boot/part number. Is there a new part number?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know much about the Gates boots, but a quick google search shows they are silicone boots just like the stock boots. The problem with those is silicone allows oil to permeate. That's the reason the stock boots are always oily and dust covered. The dieselsite boots are fluoroelastomer based which makes an absolute barrier against oil penetration. Here's the link - http://www.dieselsite.com/1999-200373ldieselsiteintercoolerbootkit.aspx

Thanks. The Gates boot I ordered on Rock Auto says: "Gates OE+ turbocharger hoses feature a specially formulated fluorelastomer liner to prevent oil permeation.".

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does anyone know the part number?? Really need to get this done.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
The Diesel Site boots are more expensive and have to use their special clamps because they are thicker.

Depending which boots you're talking about, you may have to specially trim them to fit [cut them down to size]
Just a heads up for future members who read this thread:

1. Our boots do not come with "special clamps". They are typical T-Bolt clamps. Most boot manufacturers sell spring T-Bolt clamps with their boots. You can buy replacements at any hardware store and some auto parts stores. Just know your "ID" size. (You could even use your OEM clamps, but I don't know why someone would.)

2. Our boots do not need to be trimmed to fit for ANY APPLICATION. They run longer on specific connections so guys who need to double clamp have room to do so and so there is more pipe inside the boot for better connection.

Wanted anyone trying to make a decision in the future to do so with the correct information.

You're welcome to stick with Ford if you need a cheap quick solution, however, I have not heard they have switched their material from silicone. Our boot is for the guy who doesn't want a cheap and quick solution.

·
Premium Member
15,126 Posts
Your Ford part numbers don't seem to be correct - I can't find anything by searching that number.

Here is a gates chart. http://www.gates.com/oreilly/PDFs/14gates106-turbocharger-addendum-final-r2.pdf

You'll notice several pipes fit multiple applications, so you have to dig further into the description to see if it works on your truck. I'm not seeing the front boot in the listing for anything but the F450-550.

I still think the Dieselsite boots would be the way to go.

·
Registered
884 Posts
You're welcome to stick with Ford if you need a cheap quick solution, however, I have not heard they have switched their material from silicone. Our boot is for the guy who doesn't want a cheap and quick solution.
Well Greetings Jennifer;

I find it particularly interesting that you EXTOLL the virtues of Diesel Site boots and are NOT aware that Ford has upgraded their material for their replacements boots...:surprise:
I might suggest that you buy a set from AutoNation [formerly Tousley's] and see for yourself the materials they are made of...>:)
You can of course return them for full credit, less shipping charges..

Take Care

Tony :lol:

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Well Greetings Jennifer;

I find it particularly interesting that you EXTOLL the virtues of Diesel Site boots and are NOT aware that Ford has upgraded their material for their replacements boots...:surprise:
I might suggest that you buy a set from AutoNation [formerly Tousley's] and see for yourself the materials they are made of...>:)
You can of course return them for full credit, less shipping charges..

Take Care

Tony :lol:
I was not aware of it because according to the Ford dealerships local to us, there hasn't been a change made to the boots in quite some time and the material is still silicone.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts