The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an original Turbonetic 11117-BB turbo I brought back in 2007. The truck may have 40K miles on it since I installed the turbo back then. Lately I have been upgrading things to make sure my truck in reliable. New non ebpv pedestal, new bellowed up pipes, regulated fuel return with pre/post fuel filters. Anyway I reinstalled everything and took the truck for test drive. I have white/blue smoke coming from the exhaust which from experience I know that’s from the turbo seals. I removed the turbo to inspect it, found both the exhaust and intake side oil seals are leaking.The down pipe is oil soaked as well as the compressor discharge on the turbo. I talked to Turbonetics to see if there is a rebuild kit available which they told me there’s not. I’m calling Boost Lab on Tuesday to see if they could possibly rebuild it. If not I’m looking for a new turbo but not sure what route to go.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
KC Turbo is the way to go. Many options

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the issue resolved for now, I had changed to a non ebpv pedestal and changed the crankcase breather. I had add a oil catch can right off the valve cover venting to the atmosphere and removed the plastic piece in the intake air pipe. So I modified the PCV system again after having issues with the turbo. I TIG welded a stainless hose barb into the 4” piece of stainless tubing in my intake pipe. I made a scoop like the one from the factory out of the piece of hose barb to sticks inside of the 4” but I have it facing the turbo. I ran the PCV hose from the valve cover to the catch tank then from the catch tank to the air intake pipe. The non ebpv pedestal appeared to be restricted slightly on the turbo oil return side so I modified my EBPV pedestal by removing the plunger and tapping the hole to 1/8” pipe. I plugged the hole and left the plunger assembly out but reinstalled the aluminum back plug, I also left the solenoid unplugged with the resistor still in the plug. So far everything seems to be fine, no oil leaks around the pedestal and the bluish white smoke out of the tail pipe stopped. Now to hunt down my long cranking to start issue. I have rebuilt the HPOP, checked and cleaned the check ball that’s in the front area of the drivers side head. There’s a new filter screen in the HPOP Reservoir and I refilled it with clean oil. I have drove the truck probably 25-30 miles and idled it about an hour or so to make sure it doesn’t have air in the system. All of this and it still gives me problems starting, which this truck has never had. I would hardly bump the key and it would fire up. I guess my next step is to pull the valve covers and check the injector o-rings. If anyone has any ideas on what the problem may be let me know please.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts