The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody.. I have a small fleet of 6 box trucks.

2001 International w/ 444E
2002 International w/ 466
2000 Sterling w/ Cat 3126
2001 Freightliner w/ Cummings
2002 Ford E350 w/ Power Stroke Diesel
1988 International (Ex Uhaul) with I dont know what

Lately 2 of the trucks, the Sterling and the Freightliner, have been giving me this clicking problem. When you turn the key it just "clicks" it wont start, but it might start later if you wait or jack with it. I know the batteries are good. I'm assuming this problem is almost always due to a lose or bad connection somewhere.

I'm just wondering where to start and where to finish looking for the problem. Is it normally in the high side, like the battery or starter, or the low side, like a relay or something? I'm also wondering the sequense on how this works.. Does the key close a relay that sends juice to the starter from the battery in most cases? Or does it get a lot more involved? Where are these key components located? Where is the starter relay on a big truck? Is a starter relay and solinoid the same thing?

Just looking for a little direction on the electrical side of them. It's really starting to drive me nuts. I've spent 12K on major problems this winter, I really can't afford to bring anything to the shop right now.

Thanks
Davis

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Not sure too many people here have much experience with these trucks/engines. I'm going to guess you are getting a bad solenoid. I don't know if those truck have remote mounted solenoids or if they are solely integrated into the starter. The ones that are part of the starter can be disassembled and the contacts cleaned up. The 'fender-mounted' ones are inexpensive and should just be replaced. If you feel the ignition switch feels loose then you may want to take that apart and lube it up. I'd lean more towards the solenoids though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
it is indeed the starter solenoid, thats why after replaceing 4 on one of our fleet trucks i just keep spares in the shop. get tired of removal, but its cheap and easy, to fix

1 - 4 of 4 Posts