The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you guys... Which direction should i go??? Hemi or Cummings? I know this is a diesel forum but im just wanting to get the opinion of those that drive them!

I’m in the market for a Ram 2500 soon and am wondering what direction all of you think I should go!

My situation is I don’t drive very much at all, literally less than 10K a year (at the moment) as I work from home. What I am setting up is for me and the wife getting a little camper (less than 30ft tandem axle, not 5th wheel) and go and play! I know I could easily pull our camper with the Hemi, however I’m planning on buying and keeping! I’m not looking for resale value, I’m looking for longevity. Also, the exhaust brake would be a nice addition when in the mountains. My biggest concern right now is the little amounts I drive and
the stories I hear regarding the emissions on the diesel, especially the regen period. So? The cost difference during purchase is simply the increase for the diesel everything else will be the same regardless.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
This is a Ford forum. You would be better to find a Ram forum to ask your question. People on this forum will advise you to consider the Ford instead of Ram.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Depends on how much and how far you're going to tow. Hemi is definitely cheaper, but sucks the gas and has 16 sparkplugs to maintain. If you buy a Diesel it will outlive the truck and other components by a long time. Gas mileage and power is definitely better when towing.

·
Premium Member
8,763 Posts
Diesels also cost more in the initial investment and in the long run which cancels out any fuel mileage savings. Repairs to a diesel also cost more than a gas engine.

By the way it is a Cummins and not a Cummings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts