The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
126 Posts

· Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just received some additional info and noted something interesting...

6.2L (Under 10K GVWR) - 385 HP @ 5,500 RPM / 405 TQ @ 4,500 RPM

6.2L (Over 10K GVWR) - 316 HP @ 4,179 RPM / 397 TQ @ 4,179 RPM

· Registered
1,003 Posts
Just received some additional info and noted something interesting...

6.2L (Under 10K GVWR) - 385 HP @ 5,500 RPM / 405 TQ @ 4,500 RPM

6.2L (Over 10K GVWR) - 316 HP @ 4,179 RPM / 397 TQ @ 4,179 RPM
Alright, dug this thread up after seeing this info in the 2015 SD brochure. So if I buy a F350 SRW King Ranch with the 11,300# GVWR rating does it have a detuned 6.2 as compared with a F250 with the 10,000# GVWR?
Or are the overall numbers the same and they just measured at different rpm?

· Premium Member
15,514 Posts
It has something to do with the capacity that crosses some tax threshold in California. Greater than that value and it becomes commercial and expensive or something like that. Get the downgrade and they print the lower value on the tag and it passes into the lower category.

· Registered
266 Posts
I registered mine at 9900 lbs. Saves me about $200 in registration fees in State of CT. I take it as an acceptable risk for the few times a year that I exceed that weight.

Also being registered as under 9900 lbs allows me to get a CT "Combination" license plate. (A combination of commercial/private use.) Over 10K you need a commercial plate with all its accomapnying requirements & restrictions. Combo plates allow me to drive on the passenger-car-only Parkways here and in/around NYC, which is quite convenient. If you're registered >10K lbs, and get caught on a parkway, I am told that the fine is impressive.

Unfortunately, my property taxes here are based on book value, not weight. So, that sort of figured into my decision to buy an XLT instead of a fancier model. Friend of mine with a '15 Platinum Diesel F250 just got his tax bill - $1223 for one year!! :icon_flaming: (Mine was $930)

· Registered
473 Posts
Property taxes on a vehicle? I thought illinois was crooked. I paid sales tax when I bought it and the yearly registration sticker for $100. What is the property tax?

· Registered
266 Posts
Unfortunately, Towns & Cities in CT use building & vehicle property taxes to fund their operating & school budgets. The State of CT taxes virtually everything else (and they're still running a huge deficit).

I hire a lot of Techies from out of state in my job. I always feel sorry for the folks who move here and get a rude shock when their first Car Tax bill shows up from their new home town. They all insist that "you cannot tax a motor vehicle!!" Unfortunately, the system here is set up so that you can't "legally" drive if your taxes are in arrears. Plus, with the help of License Plate scanners, towns & cities will boot your car if you haven't paid the taxes after ~6 months. (If you're really bad, they can actually seize your vehicle and sell it at a Tax Auction.) All totally legal here.

Appraised Value x Mil Rate (33 Mils) x 0.60 (motor vehicle scaling factor)
They said my truck was $47K.

$47,000 x .033 x 0.6 = $930 for my first year tax. :cursin:
The Tax goes down each year as vehicle depreciates.

I'm gonna move to a cheaper state when I retire. (Almost anywhere else will be cheaper)

· Registered
19 Posts
Our sales tax in Indiana is low but they get us back on plates. My first year excise tax was $680. The fee goes down every year till the vehicle is 10 years old, then it's just $21.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.