The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My name is Chris and i live in Germany. 1 month i bought a (in Germany very rare car) Ford Econoline E-350 6.9 Diesel from 1984.
I am very happy, that i found this Dieselstop forum. I was study a lot of threads here and you are absolutely experts und enthusiasts :)
Unfortunately last weekend at our first weekend trip 15 Miles befor we reached the finish, the car get slowler and the engine stopped running. My hope was that the dieselfilter was blocked by sediments. I buyed a new filter. Today i wanted to change the filter. I opened the old filter and saw that there is no diesel in the filter. Max. 40% on the bottom, but i expected a full filter. I think, the problem is not the filter, but the line or the diesel pump. Is it right?
What an how should i check at next?
Thanks and greetings from Germany!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would start with a clear line see if on the before the pump or filter to see if your getting fuel or air. Also sometimes if the fuel sending unit pick up tube falls apart and can't get below a 1/4 of a tank. I would start at them two places.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the tip Rustygold. I am at work now but the next days i will check this. Problem is, that there is no place to take a look at the engine. The engine cowling is very small. Do i have also a shrader valve? My fuelfilter is closed at the bottom like an ordinary oilfilter.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and a question: what is this? This Econoline is my first american car and there lot of parts are looking a little bit different :)

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes there should be a shader valve to see if your getting fuel. But if there is air in the lines you can't see that without a clear line. That part on the might be vacuum storage but I never owned an E series but do have F series but close to the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey Chris, Welcome to the forum. If the fuel line pickup/sender deteriorates you may not get past 1/2 or 1/4 tank of fuel before you run out of fuel. The pickup/sender is located inside the fuel tank. An easy diagnosis or check for this would be to fill your tanks past these points and see if the fuel supply returns. If this fixes the problem, do not let your fuel get lower than this point until it is repaired. I probably purchased my truck with this problem and I drove mine around for more than a year this way before I replaced mine. I usually like to keep no less than half a tank for emergencies. Both of mine went bad and I replaced them with rubber hoses that were diesel rated. There are several threads about this condition. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
659 Posts
All Ford diesels from 83 to present have this kind of foot valve/pickup in the fuel tanks. They deteriorate or just plain fall off. At or under a 1/4 tank, your lift pump will start to pickup air or just plain not suck fuel.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Ford-E5TZ-9J306-BA-Fuel-Pump-Strainer/dp/B0042HBSYE[/ame]

Reactions: Zork

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Gruess!
Ihre unbekannte Teil ist der Tempomatservomotor (cruise control servo).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks guys for your help! IBefore we started i filled up the front tank full. The engine stops after ca. 30 miles. Yesterday we took a look under the car. There are a lot of improvisations with wires and chandelier clamps (i hate this clamps). I have to check their functions and will try go back to the original condition. Under the chassis i founded on the left side a Mahle filter and a switch or pump with a "diesel" sticker. is it original?

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
I do not think so. I do not know, from that picture, what the one item with the wires is, aftermarket pump? or aftermarket tank selector valve?. I do not know where they put the filters on the Econolines.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Zork. The mechanical pump is installed at the engine or make it sense install a second pump behind the engine? Aftermarkt selector valve is a good suggestion. I will check it and make better pictures. I forgotten to order the injector caps, orings etc. Are the injector caps an own source for leaks?
I think it is not a bad idea to changing or what is your opinion? Our plan is making next summer holidays about 4-6 weeks through Europe, maybe Russia and it's very important that the engine and transmission will work reliably.

·
Registered
187 Posts
A spare pump is always a nice addition, especially when you are far away from home. The leaky o-rings might be damp and will likely cause hard starts and stalls after the engine sits for a while or overnight (air leaking into the system and the fuel draining back to the tank). A secondary pump can be used to prime the system, in this case, but it is always best not to have a fuel leak. Make sure all of your IP/injector line/pipe clamps are in place. Without the correct clamps the ip lines typically crack at the injectors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I had problems starting the engine in the morning. I bought a glow plug kit with controller and relay by the Accurate Diesel Shop. After reading here some posts and watching youtube videos about the engine now i know that the glow plugs are not the only reason, that the cold engine does not want to start.
I like inform about new technical themes and this big old diesel is very interesting for me but also very new :) I love spend my time with old scooters (Vespas) but they have 2 stroke engines and you can repair it in the kitchen when the women is not at home ;-)

·
Registered
659 Posts
The first picture is the tank selector valve, more than likely the OEM. The second picture is an inline filter, that is not an OEM filter. I would change it because you don't know how long it's been there. Use a Visegrips or something like that to squeeze off the line from the tank or fuel will flow from there.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Crushing a fuel line is asking for it to crack or kink, and it's not necessary. Just remove the filler cap to release the pressure in the tank, and the fuel won't flow very fast.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys!!!! We checked the fuel pump and the pump is definitly dead! It wasn't easy to reach the top screw but we did it ;-) Thank you for the information, that the tank valve is original. I wasn't sure because in my car i founded a lot of improvisiations. Also my tank valve is connected by chandelier clamps! What a botch!
I have two tanks. Before we started, i filled my front tank and now it's 80% full. Today bought a canister diesel for the rear tank.
Next days during awaiting for the ordered parts (filters, fuel pump, injector caps-kit ect.) we will change all hoses near the engine and bypass the waterseperator.
Yesterday we have changed all the glow plugs by the kit i bought by accuratediesel.com. I was very shocked as i saw the old Autolite glow plugs. Some of them were deformed und also melted. To get out the last one on the right side by the passenger seat we needed 20 minutes and it was thrilling me more than any hitchcock movie :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts