The Diesel Stop banner

Hi, need help hard starting gets worse when it's colder out

3K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  dutyhole 
#1 ·
i have a 94 e-350 i assume i hate using that word lol but as it starting to get colder out its harder to start and when it starts smokes bad and smokes intermently until it comes off the cold cycle in the summer its not really bad its a non turbo so i think its the international motor .......... whats the best glow plugs to put in it ? and any tips thank you for reading ..

#7 ·
Nick in his first post he says that it is a 94 non turbo diesel which should mean that the engine is a IDI and not a Powerstroke. The glow plugs will be visible along with the injectors on the top of the engine.

Use on Motorcraft ZD-9 glow plugs on a 7.3 IDI engine.

#9 ·
This guy a has a lot of good tips on your engine...other than that post in the IDI forum......Ford diesel 6.9 7.3 IDI
good luck

#12 ·
THANK YOU I DID CHECK THIS MORNING BEFORE I LEFT FOR WORK JUST TO MAKE SURE AND I DO HAVE REVERSE LIGHTS TOO ... SECONDARY QUESTION ONLY WHEN I START AND THE COLDER OUT THE WORSE THE SMOKE IS IT POURS SMOKE OUT OF THE EXHAUST WHEN FIRST START IN THE MORNING AFTER SHE GETS HEAT IN HER NO MORE SMOKE IS THAT A BAD IJECTOR OR ???? OH AND HERED THIER IS UPDATED NEUTRAL SAFTEY SWITCH TO FOR THE EO4D IS THAT TRUE ?

#13 ·
My 6.9 idi blew white smoke until warm and under light acceleration. Put some fuel cleaner in it and clean the lines mine ended up being a clogged return line. I just rebuilt the injectors and put all new return lines on. Cant tell if it really fixed my problem though being as i just blew the turbo. Got a spare 7.3 idi going in this weekend.

#16 ·
I used power service cutaneous boost in the clear bottle but you might want to rebuild your injectors if you never messed with them it's pretty easy there's a kit on rock auto for like 80 bucks

#20 ·
If you look on the original link I posted .....that guy sells parts as well .....

#22 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.