The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because of the large number of SuperDuty trucks that are being stolen in the Houston area and South Texas, I want to install a hidden kill switch that will disable my truck and make it harder for it to be stolen. These trucks are being used to haul illegal immigrants across the US / Mexican boarder. I have the security system and alarm, but would like to install my own system that would at least make it more difficult for someone to find and override.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
A easier way is to put a switch on the wire that lets you put it in gear after you push the brake pedal, I am retired LEO and we use to call it a jump and run switch. Any time after you put it in gear you can activate the swich and when you put it in park again its there until you hit the switch. Just hide the switch well

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was thinking about splicing into the fuel cutoff switch, which I think is on the passenger side of the dash (kind of in the door jam). And then hiding a switch somewhere.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve: That's an interesting idea! Could you go into more detail as to how to do this.

·
Banned
5,386 Posts
Steve, this will work well with the 08s... not really a good choice for earlier trucks since all one needs to do is put it in neutral before the ignition is turned on....

At the same time, you would be surprised how easy it would be to defeat this strategy. Once a would be thief has learned the necessary steps, less than 5 seconds is required.... Worse yet, the necessary steps are outlined in the factory workshop manual (since there will be occasions that a tech will need this info).

Locks, switches and booby traps can only keep honest men honest.... That there are those that feel theft, fraud and any other number of sins are viable options is a sad statement on the state of society...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am thinking of getting Ravelco installed. Anyone know about them?

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
"Locks, switches and booby traps can only keep honest men honest"

All you can do to a good thief is slow them down and hope tey give up and go somewhere else"
Boneyfinger for the price of a switch( someone here will probably know which wire) just cut into the feed wire going from the brake pedal sensor to the trans.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have looked into four ways of doing this.
The first is to add a battery cut of switch that uses a key like this.
Install this in the starter cable and the thing is not going to start unless they jump it. The install loction would be up to you (the fender, bumper, cab floor, etc).

Second, is to install a relay that uses a wireless transmitter like this from master lock
. Here another one that uses you cig. lighter Cigar Immobilizer Manufacturer.

Third, Summit racing sells or sold a device that lets the thief start the truck lets go about 20 feet I think it was. Then it shut the truck down, that in turn becomes grand theft auto.

Forth, is to install a Stancor relay (200 amp cont. use) in the starter wire, run a wire from it to a 10amp relay hooked up to a hidden switch. The hidden switch then powers the 10 amp relay only when the key is on and the switch is closed. Then Stancor relay then closes its contacts and then all that you have to do is turn the key.

·
Registered
231 Posts
A switch for the fuel pump sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
60 Posts
wow crazy ideas ,lol , just bypass the power wire that goes to your ecu computer with a hidden switch , no power to the ecu truck is not going no where , they can try for hr's and wont get it to run .......they also sell gps tracking now for any car..

·
Registered
99 Posts
A few years ago, after I got my stollen '97 back. (yes I really got it back) I put a hidden switch on inline with the idle switch on the accelerator pedal.

Basicly you push the excelerator and the switch is supposed to close, telling the 'puter to take it out of idle, then a potentiometer tells the 'puter how far the throttle is pressed.
With the switched bypased, the truck never gets out of idle and the CEL lights up.
So if someone does steal the truck, they can get away with it, but only at 3 MPH.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been looking at the Cyclops Anti Theft device and believe this is going to be the way to go for me. Any of you guys out there have any comments on this device.

Vandal Alert's "No-Start" Anti-Theft Relay

·
Registered
136 Posts
I read on this forum before that someone had wired the starter to the upfitter switches and they had to be in a certain combination of positions in order for the truck to start. The way it was described the switches could still be used for other things as well, they just had to be in your "combination" for the truck to start. If I ever get a free weekend I was going ot look into this more.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I did something like this a few years back on my Honda, I spliced a switch onto the clutch safety switch circuit. This is the circuit that closes when you depress the clutch, allowing the vehicle to start. What I've also done when parking in poor areas, is pull one of the primary fuses or relays from the fuse box, such as the fuel pump, etc... Sort of pain if you're doing it all the time, but nice for a quick way to disable your truck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
After I had a truck stolen, I had a hidden switch install on my new one to disable the fuel pump. The only problem was that I had a remote start installed on the truck too and if I had the switch turned off the truck wouldn't start. So the Ford dealer that installed my remote start and hidden kill switch wired a relay to "close" the circuit to the fuel pump to let the truck be started with the remote start. It works great since I've forgot a couple of times to flip the switch and the minute I pushed the brake pedal the truck shuts down. They did tell me that I might get a CEL for the fuel pump when this happens and it did turn the lights on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The best Killing Switch for a 2003 F250 7.3L

I've used a mini double pole double throw switch to cut the sign from the Computer to the IDM (Injectors Drive Module) Relay

It is a white cable black strip that goes behind the fuse box, cut the cable and connect two terminals from the switch to there (be carefull, you won't connect the cable to anywhere else or you will blown the computer)

Now when the switch goes on one direction, it connects or disconnect the ground from the IDM power relay that comes from the computer and the truck is disable

Why you want a double pole double throw switch? On the other connectors of the switch, you connect a rely to the horn or alarm siren or both

I have a train horn, so if you turn the switch to the wrong direction, then you will sound the horn and the siren on my driveway

On the other side of the switch, I have it connected to a second switch so even if you enable to truck by coincidence, the horn will sound. It requires a combination of the two switches to enable the truck in the proper way

There is a 3rd switch located on the bottom of the dash and it does nothing but triggering the train horn and the siren for 1 minute even if you throw it back

You can customize this solution a little more but it is all based on the cable that brings ground from the computer to the IDM power relay

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Same here, installed for a couple years now. If you have AAA, make sure you tell the Ravelco dealer you go through as most offer AAA discounts. Installed mine up under the dash near the e-break pedal. Not as obvious and I can still reach under easily enough to attach or detach the plug while sitting in the driver seat.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I have had the ravelco for almost 3 years now as well. No issues and works great.

I will tell don't go with the ebay knock offs. Ravelco Anti Theft Device

1 - 20 of 28 Posts