The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had Hid's for a few years now (Chinese kits) but am going through the ballasts like they're going out of fashion.
I don't really want to change over to LED or halogen bulbs again, so have i got any options with HID kits, is there a good decent brand kits with a good life span i can purchase and have shipped to Tassie?(the other side of the world).:smile2:

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I use Retro Solutions hids and am happy with them. Awesome quality and service....I see they're not on vendors list here anymore though. Not sure what's up there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I am in the process of getting me a custom pair of bi-xenon HIDs. I contacted the people at http://hidretrofitkit.com/ and had a really good conversation with Marcus. He gave me a few options/suggestions as to what would look and perform the best on my truck. I will post pictures and my opinion once I've received them.

Martin.

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use Retro Solutions hids and am happy with them. Awesome quality and service....I see they're not on vendors list here anymore though. Not sure what's up there.
Thanks the site looks good, did you use the bulb capping on your lights?

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

I am in the process of getting me a custom pair of bi-xenon HIDs. I contacted the people at Custom Auto Lighting Upgrades and had a really good conversation with Marcus. He gave me a few options/suggestions as to what would look and perform the best on my truck. I will post pictures and my opinion once I've received them.

Martin.
Which kit did you end up getting? part #? :smile2:

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Thanks the site looks good, did you use the bulb capping on your lights?
It was a few years ago, but I think I asked for them on the fogs but I don't remember if I actually got them. I pretty always get high-beamed when I use them...so I don't.

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've tried the bi-lexon bulbs in the stock housings with the same problem your having (blinding oncoming traffic) that's why i changed over to projector style housings , that has fixed the blinding problem, now because i went with the ballasts and bulbs from China (get what you pay for) i have the ballasts failing after about a month with no warranty, so it's best to pay a little more and get good quality kits.
Are the Retro-Solution kits made in the US?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
IIRC, they were from Connecticut.

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IIRC, they were from Connecticut.
Thanks for the input
How long have you had the ballasts and bulbs in the truck for?
Are the ballasts the slim line models?

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Thanks for the input
How long have you had the ballasts and bulbs in the truck for?
Are the ballasts the slim line models?
I wouldn't call the ballasts slim...bigger than a deck of cards I suppose. I've had them in for about 5 years now...though I don't drive the truck in the winter. I mounted the four ballasts, two on each side, behind the grill, mounted to the rad support. If I can find the pic (no luck yet), I'll post it.

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have the stock headlight housings or projectors , how's the light pattern?
And with a life time warranty they sound like better value than the Hid's I've been using .
Mind you they cost a few bob more, but over the long haul better value.
A photo would be great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's a custom setup but basically it consists of the 05-07 f350 housing, 3" bi-xenon D2S projector lamp with HID slim ballast kit, and I think a minigun shroud.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts