The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i have an edge juice w/ attitude, recently, my egt's are reading 2000 plus degrees, i shut my truck off,let it cool down, and it stays on 2000 for what seems like a long time. a neighbor of mine used a laser thermometer and had no readings anywhere near 2 grand.driving home last night, it hit 2000plus and started skipping,little power. 03 7.3 superduty,any suggestions?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sounds like a bad thermocoupler. Maybe ditch the edge and get some real gauges on a pillar mount? Or try a new thermocoupler from EDGE if you can get a hold of one. I've had nothing but good luck with Autometer and Isspro gauges myself, but I know it's probably pretty sweet to have everything all in one unit. What does it read at idle on the guage and then with the laser thermometer? Should be 250-400 depending on where your probe is located.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a bad thermocoupler. Maybe ditch the edge and get some real gauges on a pillar mount? Or try a new thermocoupler from EDGE if you can get a hold of one. I've had nothing but good luck with Autometer and Isspro gauges myself, but I know it's probably pretty sweet to have everything all in one unit. What does it read at idle on the guage and then with the laser thermometer? Should be 250-400 depending on where your probe is located.
thanks gor your reply, at idle after cooling down, it reads 200-350,but, after shutting it down, it stays on 2000 plus for a long time. with laser thermometer at exhaust and around turbo,250-300, also no turbo acto=ion at 2 grand,and some skipping.

·
Registered
937 Posts
If you were really hitting 2000 EGTs I'd think that your turbo would be toast. Probably gauge going out.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
check your alternator...i know it sounds funny but my alternator just went out and caused the exact same thing to happen.it was pegged out,it fluttered.it was all over the place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts