The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today ive been working on taking the turbo off my truck and this has been an adventure! Ive run into issue after issue and I wanted to tell my adventure at taking this thing off to help others cause ive had some probs I haven't seen post about. Ok so this is where im at now. The 2 front bolts are 10 mm and they're easy to get out! Top 2 exhaust bolts on back of turbo are 13mm and are easy to come loose as well. Ok the bottom 2 are a pain! You need a 15mm swivel socket and a long extention for the drivers side. Ok this is where it gets fun! Everyone says to get the other bolt on the back of the exhaust on passenger side you need to take the exhaust part of the turbo that connects to the down pipe. I would say that would be the best way but the person who wrote that post wasn't probably dealing with a truck with 350,000 miles and factory turbo. The issue I run into was the 8mm 12 point heads on the bolts they rounded when taking them loose and yes I used pentrating oil! (Didn't matter to many heat cycles) To get the passenger side bolt out the back of the turbo I used the 15mm swivel socket and a short extinction I had to play with it but finally got it on there put the ratchet on the extinction and a short peice of pipe on my 3/8 drive ratchet and pop off it came. To get the back bolts out is another issue all together. I went to put a 10mm wrench on the back passenger side bolt and it keeps siding off hopefully haven't rounded it where I cant get a socket on it! Right now im working to take the exhaust that runs to the back of the turbo loose from the manifolds and hopefully be able to push the exhaust pipe back far enough to be able to get a 10mm swivel socket on it and break it loose! This is where I am now let y'all know how it goes I hope this write up can help someone in the future. God bless!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts