The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a 260k mile 2008 6.4 for my 18 year old son. Is this a truck someone should avoid or are the 6.4s good at that mileage? We've been looking at trucks and what we've been finding in our price range (under 14k) are a bunch of rusty, 150k mile 7.3s and 6.0s

·
Registered
392 Posts
So, welcome to the forum. I would look around the 6.4 forum and look at youtube and you will find that most avoid this particular engine. The 6.4 in general is an expensive engine when it tears up. and that seems to be a definite WHEN. I would rather go for a gasser in that year model as to the diesel. as far as 6.0 or 7.3. both are good. though the 6.0 will need some work to be reliable.
Though I am not sure what a teen driver needs a diesel for... Or anything over a half ton for that fact.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Looks.like we will avoid the 6.4. He doesn't NEED a diesel more than 80% of other diesel owners. HE is buying a truck and this is what HE wants. It's super hard to find a 7.3 here that the body isn't rusting off the frame. Even the 6.0s are hard to find without significant rust

·
Registered
392 Posts
If you would be willing to travel down south 7.3 and 6.0s are very easy to find around here. Here is northern AL. 7.3s are in the 7k to 15k around here and 6.0s are still low 20k. We rarely salt the roads in this area. so rust is not a problem. Maybe consider a Excursion? I sold mine to someone that drove from the northern part of Indiana to buy my 7.3 excursion. He said it was like 15 hour drive. He didn't even haggle on price. He said excursion that were rust free up there were in the 20's range. :surprise: His words not mine.

·
Registered
392 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Just for some of my personal experience with the 6.4---I made it to 207781 miles before losing compression in #8 cylinder--cost to replace engine was $21800--so the statement above about expensive to repair is right on. However, I got $9500 for my '09 as is with the broken engine, and replaced it with a '10 model identical but with 65000 miles.
Also as mentioned above--I personally don't think any of the Ford diesels from 2004 up with high mileage should be purchased unless the body is excellent and the purchase price makes sense considering there may easily be $10k+ in repairs needed at some future point.
I don't frequent the Ram/GM forums so don't know if they are prone to needing expensive repairs,
It's his money, but it could be an expensive learning experience...
Joe

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yeah. I didn't mean to come off so harsh btw. But I would rather put my child in something that is not going to eat yall alive in repairs or leave him stranded some where. I can stomach a repair bill. I would worry myself to death if my child was in something that is not dependable.
With that said, Look at my post. My 7.3 has put me through some heavy :2232censored:!!! but!!! it has never ever left me completely stranded. I have always been able get it to start.
There are lemons on every make and model. dodges have powerful trucks. But kill both their auto and manual transmissions in the process. Duramax engines just don't seem to last very long.
In the end, this is up to you. I wish you the best, and we are here to help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you. You are about the only one who has actually been helpful. I posted the same question on another powerstroke forum and got nothing but condescending judgements on how I could ever allow my adult son to buy a diesel truck.

·
Vendor
612 Posts
We were all kids...long ago...and we know what we did as kids. Then throw in a Powerstroke diesel truck and nightmares ensue.

I do a lot of tuning on cars and trucks for fleet vehicle where employees drive these vehicles. I always offer the owner provisions for speed limiters and various other restrictions, out of an overabundance of caution. Plus...kids today are coddled and expect to be given whatever they want. The first vehicle I ever owned was a 1978 F-350 4x2 Camper Special. It had a 351M and a 4-speed. It taught me several very important things. How to install a clutch in a parking lot in about 2 hours,...and the most important thing, the value of a dollar, because it got almost 8mpg. It cost $5 to drive to school and home. I had to figure out how to earn that $5 to make it to and from school.

All of that said, The 6.4L engine is very good..once you get the government crap off of it. The mileage goes up, the performance goes up, it shifts better, runs better and uses less fuel doing it. Most all of the mechanical issues we've seen have come from thin oil due to regeneration of the DPF. Strip all that crap off and what-da-ya-know, it runs like it should have from the beginning. Plus, this is the best transmission that Ford has EVER built (Torqueshift-6 excepted - it hasn't been out long enough to de-thrown the 5R110W).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm on my 3rd 6.4 2 trucks.. The 6.4 is absolutely bulletproof once you straight pipe it and tune, I used an SCT tune.. I average 15 mpg on econo tune and can blast a Vette on performance tune.. 150k to 200k miles is absurd for any diesel.. if you take care of it, it will last 300k easy.. for the guy who spent 22k for motor work, please bring your stuff to me I need my retirement secured! Lol I rebuilt my last for $1500.00 but you can also long block it, which is all new motor including heads for around $5-8k with exchange.. Just put all your parts on the Long block yourself or pay a shop another 2 grand to do it for you.. I do it myself with rebuild kit for under $3k total ..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm on my 3rd 6.4 2 trucks.. The 6.4 is absolutely bulletproof once you straight pipe it and tune, I used an SCT tune.. I average 15 mpg on econo tune and can blast a Vette on performance tune.. 150k to 200k miles is absurd for any diesel.. if you take care of it, it will last 300k easy.. for the guy who spent 22k for motor work, please bring your stuff to me I need my retirement secured! Lol I rebuilt my last for $1500.00 but you can also long block it, which is all new motor including heads for around $5-8k with exchange.. Just put all your parts on the Long block yourself or pay a shop another 2 grand to do it for you.. I do it myself with rebuild kit for under $3k total ..
Without the long story, the ol lady took my Ram gasser and so I had to find something new to pull the camper. Found a 2008 f250 super duty 8 foot bed with a 6.4 with 1800 miles on it. All confirmed by the well respected diesel shop that put it together. Can you point out any video or article exactly or even what is it you did that I can do to get the crap off this engine that is ultimately going to destroy it. First ever diesel 74 years old lol all ready had fun changing fuel filters and air in the system and then figuring out how to bleed the air out. Anyway I'm hoping what needs to be done is something I can do. And see ... lol .. half blind most of the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts