The Diesel Stop banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
So it was a false alarm on the two rockers, after starting the truck the second time, oil started to flow down all the rocker arms so I feel a lot better about it. Still have air trapped in the system, takes about 3 seconds of cranking to build up enough HP fuel to start. Hoping a good hard drive will work the remaining air out. Called around and found a great deal on a BD diesel performance EGR delete kit with elbow for the same price it would of cost me on ebay for a dfuser kit. Got it through Dix Performance here in Edmonton, AB.

·
Registered
216 Posts
So almost a year later, I'm bumping this for any updates on the failures.

Being I'm looking at retiring my old 7.3 and 6-spd manual...this is not comforting as I'd been looking at used trucks.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
162000 on my '09. Major work has been the trans at 145000, but that was my fault for running it when the TC lockup failed. Idler pulleys, batteries, front hubs, brakes @ 135000, minor oil leaks, tires at 78500/157000, radiator hoses. That's about is, as I can remember. Running H&S Mini since 98000, no DPF/DOC--4" exhaust.
Got my eye on a leftover '14, or maybe a '15, if I can find the $$$.
Joe

·
Registered
329 Posts
this thread scares me a bit too. I'm nearing 100k with very little problems. For those that deleted the dpf and didn't beat on their truck how are they holding up? Again, I've had very good luck out of mine and have really enjoyed it. I do tow 10-13k several times a year but don't race it etc. I guess you could say I drive it like it was intended to be driven. The few problems I have had were very minor like a idler pulley making noise, blower door actuators on hvac had to be replaced. And leaking front 4x4 hub which was caused by poor installation of my front locker.

·
Registered
77 Posts
keeping mine

2008 F350 crew cab long bed 4x4. 120K

I bought my truck out of California with 100K on it a little over a year ago. It now has 120K. I replaced an alternator and one glow plug. I told my mechanic that sometimes I get worried over the stuff I read here and he always laughs at me. I did the H&S mini max, DPF/EGR delete four weeks ago alone with a AFE stage 2 CAI. I also just put on the winter grill cover that I picked up off craigslist for $45.00 almost new :) and two rear tires, but I consider that normal wear and tear. I rarely tow anything and I have never had it to the floor. It's an awesome truck. I had an 01 7.3 prior this truck. I bought it with 138K and sold it four years later with about 234K. That truck was also good to me. I hope to sell this one in three or four years when it has 200K. I'm going to do a full coolant flush this spring and may remove the remove the EGR coolers although my mechanic says I don't need to.
After I tweaked the tuner this past week I am now getting 13.7 mpg. That's my youngest boy putting tires on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
1997 F350 CC 7.3 PS 4x4

Was just about to pull the trigger on an '08 F450 6.4 4x4 w/ @60000 miles when I came upon this and another thread. Backed out. I've got 175,000 on my '97 and have only had transmission problems. That was cured with a bulletproof JW tranny. I pull a 30' 5th wheel toy hauler, a 22' enclosed race trailer and occasionally a '38 5th wheel camp trailer. I'd like a little more power and a few more comforts but may just add some more aftermarket parts and pieces to my OBS. I've been a diehard Ford guy, for good reason, but the newer ones scare me. I know not all are bad but I don't really want to rely on luck or a roll of the dice. Started looking at other makes but nothing excites me so far. Keep this thread going for hope of good news coming soon!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Was just about to pull the trigger on an '08 F450 6.4 4x4 w/ @60000 miles when I came upon this and another thread. Backed out. I've got 175,000 on my '97 and have only had transmission problems. That was cured with a bulletproof JW tranny. I pull a 30' 5th wheel toy hauler, a 22' enclosed race trailer and occasionally a '38 5th wheel camp trailer. I'd like a little more power and a few more comforts but may just add some more aftermarket parts and pieces to my OBS. I've been a diehard Ford guy, for good reason, but the newer ones scare me. I know not all are bad but I don't really want to rely on luck or a roll of the dice. Started looking at other makes but nothing excites me so far. Keep this thread going for hope of good news coming soon!

I would wait if I were you as well considering you would be buying used vehicle and not sure how the previous owner cared for the truck. These trucks do great but they need proper maintenance. You can run them hard, and they need it, but proper maintenance is key. I've had very good luck with mine and love it but do follow everything maintenance wise to a tee. If I were you I would consider a used 6.7 when your ready as they have been a very solid truck. My friends company has 5-6 now and all of them have been flawless. Just run the heck out of them and keep going. They are very strong and provide better fuel mileage as well. Again, I'm sure there not all perfect but on a average they are a very reliable engine. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sawtooth, thanks for the info, I'll look into them. I've tried to justify the cost of a new one and just haven't been able to. I guess if my '97 left me for good I probably could. You're probably right to get a newer model than the 6.4. A good low mile 6.7 would lessen the luck. I'll keep looking and checking back here. Thanks, Kenny

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just traded my 2010 F250 6.4 with 135,000 miles on it for a new 2014 F250 6.7 in Jan 2014. I sure hope my new truck is as good as my last. My 2010 6.4 was an outstanding truck, period!! I didn't have to replace anything... and I mean anything until around 120,000 miles and then I only had to replace one exhaust O2 sensor. At 135,000 miles I replaced the engine idler pulleys, put on my second set of Nitto Crosstek tires, and front brake pads.

It still had the original front and rear rotors and rear brake pads when I traded it. And yes I pulled a 28’ enclosed race car trailer for at least 40,000 of those 135,000 miles so it was used as at truck!!! I did put 2 sets of Nitto Crosstek tires on it. I got 90,000 miles out of the first set of Nitto Crossteks! They are great tires, highly recommend them!!

Only reason I traded was is because was while I was doing the repairs at 135,000 miles I struck a deal at $10,000 off the MSRP off a new 2014 and got $26,000 for my 2010 trade. I thought it was a good deal so I did it.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
2008 F350 crew cab long bed 4x4.
After I tweaked the tuner this past week I am now getting 13.7 mpg.
13.7? Tweaked? I know the 6.4's make a lot more power and torque but if that's as good as it gets I don't think I want one. I have gotten 20.7 on the highway and around 16 in town. Back when I was towing fifth wheel campers I got between 10 and 13 and that included mountains in Tennessee, Kentucky and Georgia. Is the emissions to blame for such poor mileage?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My 6.4 is awesome, best truck I've ever had. It's smooth and very powerful and I haven't deleted a thing.
This thread shouldn't scare anyone, there are hundreds of thousands of these trucks on the road, there are going to be some that have problems. If you go to the 7.3 board you will find pages and pages of threads that talk about problems. I loved my 7.3 equipped trucks (wish I still had that CC 97 as a second truck) but they're slow, loud, uncomfortable and gutless compared to an 08-10.
While I plan on doing a dpf delete in the near future, this truck pulls excellent as is. I pull a 2013 43' Road Warrior toy hauler with it and I am extremely happy with how it performs. A 7.3 isn't pulling this trailer with this configuration and if it did it's fuel mileage would be sub 10 too. I get 9 on a normal day pulling the toy hauler.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This has me wanting to maybe look for a 2010 again. I can find those with low miles and still for a good price. Then do a delete and fuel filter and I should be good I think.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts