The Diesel Stop banner

High Oil Temp and Over heating issues.

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  hhaggard71 
Hi, this is my first post on this forum, and I look forward to being a new member.
I bought a 05 6.0 about two months ago. They guy I bought it from studded it, did an egr delete, put 155cc injectors in, upgraded the FICM, along with new cold air intake, and straight pipes. He gave me a thermostat when I purchased the truck as well as told me he’d do a new or external oil cooler if he were to keep the truck because that was one of the last things on his list to completely bullet proof the vehicle.
I bought the truck in FL and drive around for about 1 month with no issues. I then began driving up to NY with it. Within about 5 hrs I started having overheating issues. My oil temp got up to 245 and then I started experiencing loss of coolant. Stopped at a shop in SC where I reluctantly let them put blue devil in the coolant to try and patch the small leak in the radiator. 30 miles later the radiator blew, I then had the radiator replaced in which I’m almost positive they didn’t flush the system. Another couple hundred miles later my oil temp climbed to 275 before I finally pulled over and had the car shipped from NC to NY.
I just got the truck and changed the oil, I ran a head gasket test and my heads aren’t blown or leaking. There is no exhaust gases coming into the coolant nor is there coolant coming out the exhaust or into the oil. Around town the truck runs great and my coolant and oil temps stay within a normal range.
What do y’all think I should do? My plan is to flush the coolant system and replace the thermostat. We’re also thinking about replacing the oil cooler, however that is going to be a full weekend project that I’m not looking forward to. Is there a way to flush the oil cooler with the EGR deleted? This truck is going to be my work horse and I need it to be reliable.
May

May be able to back flush the oil cooler. Has worked for a few.
We had a similar issue, didn't realize it. The oil coolers on these things seem to be a weak point, so may need it changed.
Also may want to test your oil and filter. We used a place by mail. The test indicated that the engine suffered severe bearing damage with high silicate and ferrous metal counts, so we changed engines. Be sure to send a piece of the filter as well.
Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Number

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.