The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just cleaned up the Exxon Valdez in my driveway. What initially looked like leaking coolant was diesel. It is a wonder I made it home. It must have done its deed not too far away from the house.
I traced the culprit to a hose in front of the fuel filter that is apparantly on the high pressure side cuz when the truck is running a small slit in it gushes a bucket worth of diesel in seconds.
How random is this? There was nothing to abrade it. It has what looks like threaded fittings on each end. Should I pull it out and take it to a hydraulic shop to have it matched or look into having it ordered from the stealership?

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Fuel returns? There should be two of them, one from the front of each head to the regulator on the canister. A hydraulic shop should be able to fix you up. You may have to remove the a/c bracket to get the one on the left side. They are both different lengths ,so take them both when you go to get them made. Stainless steel braided with a teflon liner should just about last forever.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a pic
this is the link

ooh. good thinking replacing the other one at the same time. I might do that if it isnt too hard to get out.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: angst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a pic
this is the link

ooh. good thinking replacing the other one at the same time. I might do that if it isnt too hard to get out. </div></div>

Yep, those are the return lines. You really should do both, it's just a matter of time. 5 yrs on bio and 2 yrs of wvo did mine in. I know of two others who have also had to replace them and the both run either bio or veggie.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just went through the same thing a while back, only I had to drag it home (about 10 miles). I went ahead and replaced both sides with the Ford replacements. The part numbers are:
- LH F4TZ-9D308-A
- RH F4TZ-9B273-A
I paid $17 for the left and $36 for the right.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the part numbers. That helps a lot.
Local Ford and International dont have em so will have to park for the weekend while mail ordering em.
I took a peek at the end that is behind the A/C. Ouch. That looks unpleasant. Do you have to take the A/C pump off? Any tricks to getting that end out?

·
Registered
53 Posts
It's really not that bad. Just clean everything up well before you start with superclean or purple power or the like. Remove the belt, then the 4 bolts holding the A/C compressor and just set it to the back. You may want to tie it back to keep it out of the way. Then remove the 4 bolts holding the aluminum multi-use bracket (13mm head; holds the A/C Comp, Vac pump, and PS pump in place). Once you remove the 4 bolts, just tilt the entire bracket assembly forward and there is enough room to get to that hose. Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wish I had seen this post earlier. I had blown the RH line back in August, and the stealership got me for $58, at which point I balked at replacing both, figuring I would find a cheaper source for the second line. In the meantime, I put that thought on the back burner... and I just blew the LH side...

·
Registered
4 Posts
LH side is only $26... should've replaced them both...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts