The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently had my 2005 Ford F450 6.0 liter break down. Towed into Ford they diagnosed the high pressure oil pump. 2800$ later I pick up the truck and later on the truck dies with the same symptoms. Take it back to Ford he claims bad high pressure pump again. Saying it was probably a faulty pump. Get it back to my shop drive it that day for like 1 hour park it and go to restart and it just turns over. Towed back to ford now mechanic says its the front cover of the motor and the gears in the front cover. Replace that another 3000$ and he says this was the problem for sure!!!! Got truck back and the same problem again!!!! Now Ford says I need a new block because the camshaft is not keep up the pressure. I am very disappointed at this point and would really like another persons opinion on this matter. Thank you all in advance!!!

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I think first off, find another shop. Failure of a late style pump (iron body) is very rare. So that would be the last thing I would suspect. I don't know why they went to it first. I would suspect an electronic or control problem. Have you tried unplugging the ICP to see if it will start?

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
From what you have posted, I would consider legal action. The diagnosis was probably faulty all 3 times and the charges are WAY TOO EXCESSIVE.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Gotta agree with that. I think you could lose a dealership license over this kind of stuff.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would want a labor reimbursement at the least. You could very well have a low pressure oil pump issue but why wasn't it diagnosed correctly. A dealership should not be throwing darts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry to hear about your luck and bad experience with that shop, if I remember correctly the 6.0 uses a composite gear to run the HPOP and these are prone to failure. There is a metal gear replacement out there but not sure where to find them. Just a thought. That would explain the no start situation......no oil pressure no start. The injectors are pressure activated and won't fire with low pressure.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Sorry to hear about your luck and bad experience with that shop, if I remember correctly the 6.0 uses a composite gear to run the HPOP and these are prone to failure. There is a metal gear replacement out there but not sure where to find them. Just a thought. That would explain the no start situation......no oil pressure no start. The injectors are pressure activated and won't fire with low pressure.
Where did you get that info and are you sure it applies to the 05 and up HPOP's??

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
To me it sounds like you lost a roller bearing on a lifter and a poorly trained/experienced mechanic started parts throwing in the wrong direction. If the high pressure reading was not good the first check should have been putting an oil pressure gauge on the low side to see if the high side was getting fed correctly. It's not that hard to put a hose and gauge in the oil pressure sensor port and check cold and hot base oil pump outputs.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I'd still go simplest first. It could be as simple as a wonky ICP. Unplugging it and seeing if it will fire and run can rule that out. If not, then I'd scan it and read ICP vs. IPR. If the IPR is maxed and the ICP still won't build there's either a leak or an issue with supply. At that point I'd start checking pressures, air testing, etc.

It sounds like this dealership doesn't have a trained Diesel tech, certainly doesn't have a guy with 6.0 experience beyond changing filters. Now they're using the old troubleshoot by replacing parts thinking they can keep convincing you to pay for it until they get it right. The factory service manual for these trucks is hundreds of pages long, with detailed diagnostic procedures. These guys are acting like there's alien technology inside the engine and if they bang on it with a rock just right maybe it will fix it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts